Newbie shock process help please?

Jun 13, 2013
I live in a multigenerational household and we've all been waiting for someone else to figure out how to take care of the pool and letting the pool store tell us what to do. Fail! They sold us tons and tons of chemicals, especially tricolor and algeacides... Wonder why the cya was so high? Hmmmm

Filled with dread of a new season I waited until late to open the pool
Thankfully I found the pool school :-D

I now have a Leslie's pool test kit

Upon opening the pool the Ph and alkalinity were through the roof high, added muriatic 3 gallons of muriatic acid to get it close to the accepted range (7.4 ph and 180 ta)
Cya was over sky high and did 2 partial drains because I was too afraid to drain as much as necessary the first time, second time took it down from 120 to 45 after about 40% drain
(Calcium hardness was over 450 but drains took care of that too)

Current test
FC .7 (ish)
TC more than 5, guessing 6 or 7
CC ? 5.5 ish?
PH 7.4
TA 105
CH 280
CYA 45

I'm sending the teenager to the store to get more muriatic acid to take ph down to about 7.0
But then what? I'm having trouble figuring out what shock range is for my pool

Thx :shark:

Hi, welcome to TFP! I'm not sure how you got a .7 result for FC? The CC is really high if that is an accurate result. Your pH is fine where it is, no need to lower it more. You want to keep pH between 7.2 and 7.8

I'm guessing the Leslie's kit you bought only tests up to 5 ppm of FC, and uses a color match to determine results? If so I would recommend getting the FAS-DPD chlorine test to enable you to test levels higher than 5 ppm. You can use it along with your Leslie's pool kit, then you won't have to guess how high the chlorine is.

How does the water look, is it clear?

Yes color matching showed it was between .5 and 1 FC so it was a guess

And ok I'll look for those

The water has a greenish tint to it
I was reading the pool school article on how to shock your swampy pool lol and it said lower the ph to 7.0 or 7.2 before taking the water to shock level and starting the shock process

But I am still confused as to what exactly shock level would be

Richard320 said:
http://www.poolcalculator.com/ will calculate shock level if you go way down to the last yellow line and select gunite, troublefreepool, and bleach options. The blue line above it will give you recommended levels.

Ok I found that suggested fc value line finally thank you

I'm not sure what kinds of algae we have.

We used copper algaecide a few times in the last few years because of pool store recommendations for stubborn algae treatment

The pool calculator will help determine shock level. It has two columns where you enter information. "Now" is the current test results, "Target" is the level you want to achieve. Go to the bottom of the calculator as Richard said and enter the set up information (plaster and gunite are the same thing). You will see the recommended range for each chemical in the little box titled "Goal" just above where you enter the numbers.

Edit: Most likely you have regular algae. Try the normal shock level first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.