I must be missing something, assistance with chemicals pls!!

Jun 3, 2008
I have a 16x32 in ground pool, 8 ft deep, vinyl liner. 300 lb sand filter, 8 hr filter run per day on timer. (various times throughout the day) It gets full sun in North Carolina where I live. The pool gets light use, mostly my kids and myself 2 - 3 hrs daily.
I use a Taylor K-2005 kit.
My numbers are -
CYA 30
Alk 100
FC 3-4
CC 0
PH 7.2
Temp 84 F

I use liquid bleach as my chlorine, (BBB method) and typically use 32-45 ounces per day trying to keep my target value of 3-4 ppm.
Recently my water has shown some signs of cloudiness and what I believe is algae growth on the sides of the vinyl liner. I had a similar instance a few weeks ago at which time I brushed it, and used 15 ppm bleach to shock it. I believe I am doing something wrong, although I have no clue what. I would think that if my water chemistry numbers are consistantly good, then I shouldn't have any cloudiness or algae issues.

What do you think? Any feedback greatly appreciated!!!
Regards,
Dan

Only a guess, but maybe during the middle of the day, FC is dropping enough to allow algae to get a foothold. When do you test and add chlorine? Maybe test every 4 hours some sunny day when you are home to see how it's holding????

If it was my pool, I'd be inclined to raise the CYA to 40.

I agree with raising the cya to 40, in fact I was planning on doing that.
I am also wondering, because I am fairly new at this, what is the recommended time to keep a pool at shock level?
Do you simply shock it and let it come back down, or must it be held for a pre-determined amount of time?
Again, any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Dan

Edit - I test various times during the day, mostly for experiment to see what is happening with the water.
I add bleach usually in the morning, or late evening.

Thank you for the replies. I had just found similar information on the 'pool calculator' page hyperlinks. Good stuff right there for sure.
However, I was not able to find a definition of "mustard algae" or "black algae", and what the differences were in both composition and treatment. Can you offer anything on that?

BTW- I am just outside of Rockingham, NC. I travel to Raleigh often for work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.