Pool Expansion -- from 16' Intex to 21' Sharkline Heritage

reagan

May 23, 2011
NE Ohio
So we bought and set up a 16' Intex three summers ago, and the new 21' Sharkline Heritage was delivered this morning.

Ordered from ThePoolFactory.com, they offered liftgate shipping for $39. I'm glad we took advantage of it, as the entire shipment was on a pallet, and the delivery guy used a pallet jack to put it right where we wanted on the driveway. Of course, it's raining cats and dogs here, so it's tarped and waiting.

3 yards of sand is being delivered tomorrow, then the construction will be Saturday/Sunday. Woohoo! :whoot:

I'll update the thread with pictures as the build progresses; original Intex build info with pics is in my signature.

Tarped area is where 16' pool was; dirt is where pool is being expanded.

Different angle

Waiting for sand delivery and rain to stop...

I cannot thank TFP enough for all of the hand-holding, question-answering and thought-bouncing that y'all have offered. Without the help I've received here, I don't think I would have had the courage to undertake this pool.

:lovetfp:

Re: Pool Expansion -- from 16' Intex to 21' Sharkline Herita

Nice.
Exciting times.....of course then comes the stress of installing, but luckily that is followed by the joy of pool usage.
Hope everythign goes smoothly!

Thanks! The site prep is slow going, but of course, the most important part.

Set the final paver this afternoon. Tomorrow hubs works a ten-hour day, so we're back at it on Thurs. Have a few friends lined up to help out; hopefully my BBQ pulled pork sandwiches and beer will be enough of a draw to help out! :-D

Looking at the pics, did you build up a perimeter with stones or pavers or something and then fill with sand?
It's a bit hard to tell from the pics.

Basically. Since we were expanding our existing pool site, hubs set the pavers in the dirt, then we filled with sand. There are extra pavers along the lower track line to help distribute weight (I don't have a pic of that yet). He also built a sand containment system so that we won't lose sand. A lot of extra work, and the level is nearly perfect. thanks to the new laser level.

One friend injured his back and another had something come up, so we rescheduled the install for today. I'd opened most of the boxes to count parts, but left the liner box and wall box intact so it would be easier to move them to the site. Good idea, right?

Wrong.

:hammer:

No wall hardware. None. Not a single bolt or washer. So while our help stood around, unable to do anything, I tore through all of the boxes frantically. Nowhere to be found. Called poolsupplyworld and they're overnighting me a replacement, but we're out of town for a few days, then hubs is back to work. I'm so upset I can hardly see straight, and he's... well... :rant:

MORAL: CHECK YOUR BOXES AND COUNT YOUR PARTS. Seriously. Ugh.

I had all my boxes opened in March.

reagan said:
Basically. Since we were expanding our existing pool site, hubs set the pavers in the dirt, then we filled with sand. There are extra pavers along the lower track line to help distribute weight (I don't have a pic of that yet). He also built a sand containment system so that we won't lose sand. A lot of extra work, and the level is nearly perfect. thanks to the new laser level.

Sand containment system, what is preventing the sand from washing away, if I might ask.
Also, did you use 100% real sand?

Despite threat of bad weather, we were able to get the pool installed yesterday! We filled for about six hours and shut off overnight; going to continue filling and install the skimmer today. I have pics but haven't uploaded yet.

All that is left is to finish installing the decorative caps. And I need to confirm the pool fence specs so I can figure out which model will fit with our caps since they seem to stick out a bit. Unfortunately both the city and our insurance require the ugly pool fence. :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

4x4 retaining wall with landscaping cloth attached. We're coving against the outside of the pool wall with dirt to prevent the inner sand cove from washing out, then landscaping material (tbd) over it.

Kids went in for the first time today. DH is already griping about wanting to hard-plumb the pump and filter (gotta love that guy) but it's OK for now.

Picked up a bunch of toys for the kids and just made one of these; it's for 'adult swim' after the kids go to bed tonight:

3e3ec361c19e1949d53c542cef1fa7eb.jpg

Last year's pool noodle + paracord + old Sterilite bin = cheap floating beverage holder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.