Pump basket won't fill completely - Inlet line too short?

G

Installed new Hayward 3/4 hp pump and basket to replace old 3/4 hp pump for an in ground pool. The basket does not fill completely as the water level is about 2" below the top of the lid. Both the inlet and outlet lines are 1 1/2". I did not have this problem with the old pump.

When I installed the new pump I had to cut some of the 1 1/2" inlet pipe off. The inlet pipe comes out of a tee that is connected to two valves. The inlet pipe is only about 4" before entering the pump.

Is this too short of a inlet run before the pump? Would this be causing the problem? If so, how much more do I need to extend the inlet line?

Re: Pump basket won't fill completely - Inlet line too short

Welcome to TFP!

I expect you have an air leak somewhere. Check your basket lid and basket drain O-rings for starters. Did you use tape or plastic pipe dope on the threaded fitting into the pump?

I have checked the o rings (they are brand new). I did use tape to connect the threaded fitting into the pump. The pump has a 2" inlet, but I used a threaded 1 1/2" fitting into the pump. I don't have any water leaks out of the inlet. Do you think there could be an air leak here, even though there is no water leak?

If the pump is above water level, the inlet line is always under suction even when the pump is off so even if it doesn't leak water out, there can still be an air leak in.

The pump is above the water level. I can re tape the inlet line and try that. Do you have a better way of attaching the inlet fitting?

micro said:
The pump is above the water level. I can re tape the inlet line and try that. Do you have a better way of attaching the inlet fitting?

I assume you used a 1-1/2" slip to 2" threaded adapter?

Just to see if it is the threads, you can put some pool lube on the joint and that should seal it temporarily. In fact, it may last quite a while depending on how bad it is. Of course, this only works on suction leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.