I need a refresher on bleach calculations

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
This is lame, but I need a refresher on how to calculate and normalize the prices for different bleach concentrations and volumes. I did a board search, but I did not have any luck.

For example, I can get 1 gal of 10% liquid chlorine at Orchard Supply for $3.25.
And I can get 1.42 gal of 6% liquid chlorine at Target for $2.29

Can you show how you do the calculations for me?

Thanks!

Titanium

What I do is figure out how much NaOCl there is in each jug. The Orchard Supply chlorine contains 12.8oz(10% of 128oz) NaOCl for $3.25, so it's 25.4 cents per ounce of NaOCl. Target bleach contains 10.9oz (6% of 1.42gal) NaOCl for $2.29, so it's 21 cents per ounce of NaOCl.

I've yet to find anything that beats the 96 ounce Great Value jugs of 6% at Walmart. 99 cents per bottle.
6% of 96 = 5.76 ounces of NaOCl @ 17.19 cents per ounce.

They sell a much larger bottle for $2.28, but it contains less than the amount in 2 of the smaller bottles (for a total of $1.98 ) so it's cheaper per ounce in the smaller bottles.

HarryH3 said:
I've yet to find anything that beats the 96 ounce Great Value jugs of 6% at Walmart. 99 cents per bottle.
6% of 96 = 5.76 ounces of NaOCl @ 17.19 cents per ounce.

They sell a much larger bottle for $2.28, but it contains less than the amount in 2 of the smaller bottles (for a total of $1.98 ) so it's cheaper per ounce in the smaller bottles.

I've never seen the small bottles for 99cents. They are a decent amount more expensive than the big ones (per ounce) at every store I've been in. $1.28 is the normal price here.

The Walmart here has a lot of products that cost less per ounce in the smaller size. It doesn't make sense, but most people probably just grab the larger package, assuming that it's the better deal.

I like using the smaller jugs anyway, as my pool takes right at 3 quarts per day, so I don't have to measure. I just pour the whole jug in. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.