Low Flow except when set to waste

May 6, 2013
I have been struggling with an issue with low flow. I have a 1.5HP hayward variable flow pump followed by a S210T sand filter followed by a hayward inline chlorinator. I am experiencing the following in each of the vari-flow positions:

Filtration - low flow and the pump chamber does not fill with water (1/2 full) but I can see a steady flow coming in
Recirculate - same as filtration with maybe slightly more flow but still pretty low
Waste- Full pressure with full prime and full pump chamber
Backwash - Full pressure with full prime and full pump chamber

I was initially thinking that the sand needed changing but since recirculate still has low flow I am thinking I have a clog somewhere in the return lines. I just bought the home/pool and it is very old with only 1 skimmer (and one working port) and 2 returns (24k gals). Any ideas?

What is the current filter pressure and what is the normal clean filter pressure?

Have you tried to backwash the filter?

Are all the plumbing valves open?

Current filter pressure is around 23 PSI. I have backwashed and rinsed the filter and the only valve on the system is the waste line which goes to never never land.

Unfortunately I do not know what the clean pressure should be because I just moved into the home. The reason I initially did not think it was the filter was because the same lack of pressure occurs on the recirculate setting. Am I correct in assuming that will bypass the sand?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes recirculate bypasses the sand so it probably isn't a dirty filter.

Clogs in the return line are pretty rare because the filter prevents it most cases.

The other thing that could be a problem is a failed check valve. Do you have any check valves? If the flapper breaks off, it can sometimes clog the return line.

A picture of the pad equipment might help as well.

I don't know if this could be your issue or not but last night I took my sand filter apart which is intex brand and mine has a screen cover on the bottom of the valve assembly and it was plugged with debri and grass that had gotten past my strainer basket and through the system. I had low flow before but now I have a vortex circulating pool again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.