Jandy actuator won't align correctly

ultimate_ed

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2012
Manvel, TX
Alright,

This is the second time in recent months that I've had an issue with one of my three way valve actuators not working correctly. It's still under warranty, so it will be fixed. However, eventually it won't be and I'd like some feedback on if this is something I can deal with myself.

I have a pool and an attached above ground hot tub. The three way valves control circulation going to either the main pool or just the hot tub. The problem is that, when the actuator won't align correctly, the hot tub will drain down until it is as the level where the valves are, which is a good foot below where the hot tub water level normally sits.

I opened the actuator today to see if I could trouble shoot it myself. For as much as these actuators cost (just looking at a replacement on Amazon), they are remarkably unsophisticated. There are little lever arms inside that trip switches to stop the rotation when a nub on the stem moves them to close. The arm is a fairly loose fit. What really bugs me is that, the actuator will actually pause at the correct position, and then will bump over a little more. The picture below shows how it ends up. The handle should be in line with the pipe below, but it is off by several degrees, allowing water to move through the hot tub side.

20130611_ChurchBazaar_0001_zps13d56367.jpg

Since this is the second time it has happened to me already in recent months, I fear it is going to be a recurring problem. I'm hoping the seasoned folks here have seen this before and can suggest something. I downloaded the manual for the valve. However, it indicates that with the actuator installed in the normal orientation as it is, no adjustment should be needed. It doesn't address the situation I'm having in its troubleshooting section.

I'm afraid that one would be a challenge as I don't have a lot of exposed pipe before it goes underground to cut in a check valve.

For now, I've used the selector switch to move the actuator into the correct position for pool circulation and and the hot tub level is holding properly. As a worst case, I can operate the valve manually to switch between pool and hot tub until a permanent fix comes along.

It sounds like the cam slipped out of position. pull the cover off loosen the nut, align it, (once you figure out which cam it is really easy to adjust with the power on) and tighten the nut being careful not to let the cams rotate out of position. How was it fixed the first time?

LB

Unfortunately, I wasn't home the first time it was fixed and I figured it was a fluke failure for a relatively new actuator. Now that it's struck twice, I'm taking more of an interest. I'll probably play around with it some more per your suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.