pH and rain / aeration

May 31, 2013
New Jersey
I have lots to learn about aeration. Only just heard about it from TFP. Is there a dedicated link explaining this process and why it raises pH? Trying to piece it all together.

My second question is regarding pH, rain, and aeration. I'm in NJ and were getting hit with some heavy rain and winds starting tomorrow. The pool has been balancing nicely, which leads me to this. If the rain is acidic, the pH will lower, but then there is aeration from the rain that would raise it, so what outcome is expected with acidic rain? More likely a decrease from the rain itself OR increase from aeration?

Our pH is currently about 7.3. If I notice it dropping should I raise it right away while still raining or wait until the rain is done? Supposed to rain a few days. vWe most likely will be wasting the pool during the rain since we're supposed to get several days of rain.

My very basic understanding from reading on here is aeration increase the air to water surface area and speeds up the outgassing of carbon dioxide that in turn reduces the carbonic acid in the water (the form carbon dioxide takes in the water when combined with water).

The amount of rain and it's ph will not move the pool ph much, however the aeration can occasionally be significant, though not typically something you need to take care while its still raining :lol:

I doubt your ph will drop at all.

What is your TA?

linen said:
What is your TA?

Thanks for the explanation :-D

Our TA is about 90/100 right now.

So, basically, the most likely outcome may be that pH may rise due to aeration and TA may decrease due to dilution. Of course this is dependent on the amount of rain and how heavy it is, but just so I have general understanding of the effect it may have.

It would take hurricane levels of rain to have any measurable effect on TA. PH is more difficult to predict. Frequently rain won't have any effect on PH, though sometimes it will lower the PH and sometimes raise it. Generally the effect on PH isn't that large unless your TA is way too low or way too high.

JasonLion said:
It would take hurricane levels of rain to have any measurable effect on TA. PH is more difficult to predict. Frequently rain won't have any effect on PH, though sometimes it will lower the PH and sometimes raise it. Generally the effect on PH isn't that large unless your TA is way too low or way too high.

Ok, thanks :) . We may be having hurricane levels! Not sure.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.