Pool pump electrical problem....

May 26, 2007
Hi,
MY Dad has a Pentair whisperflo 110V pump. I installed it last year and it worked fine. I started it this year and smelled somnething burning. Turns out that the neutral wire where it connects to other neutral wires in the box heated up so much it melted the marette off :shock: Anyway my Dad's tool box comsists of a hammer so I have to go back tomorrow with my meter and such but anyone have any idea what may be happening?
Thanks,
Joe

crusmisl,

Sorry to hear about your electrical problems.

Electrical equipment contains smoke. If you see or smell smoke, it means you have let the smoke leak out of the electrical equipment. This is not good news. :twisted:

Just kidding.

heated up so much it melted the marette

What is a marette?

Can you post a picture of the electrical installation, with extra focus on where and how you connected the neutral wires together?

Are we talking about a AG or IG pool here?

Titanium

Sorry a marette is a wire nut. I don't have a photo of the install but it's a typical box with typical copper wiring. Since it was working last year just fine I'm thinking maybe the neutral junction point using the wire nut may have come loose or developed a poor connection which caused the heating issue....then again I'm not an electrician :)

cruzmisl said:
Sorry a marette is a wire nut. I don't have a photo of the install but it's a typical box with typical copper wiring. Since it was working last year just fine I'm thinking maybe the neutral junction point using the wire nut may have come loose or developed a poor connection which caused the heating issue....then again I'm not an electrician :)

That would be my guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.