a little input?

SHADEZ

Jul 10, 2011
I have not started the pool yet I'm still dealing with algae at the moment just filtering

I'm wondering should I test the water before I first shock the pool with algae?

I decided it wouldn't hurt to test it so yesterday i got
Ph 7.2
Ta 40

I added about 12 lbs of baking soda .. 24 hours later

Ph 8.0-8.2
Ta 60

there is a storm coming and wondering if I should hold off shocking with bleach
and just add some acid to bring the Ph down .. wouldn't that take my ta back to 40?

so acid to lower ph then more baking soda .. repeat .. then shock?

Well, let's review your baking soda dose. 12 lbs of baking soda should have moved your TA by about 30 ppm and moved your pH by .06. Clarifying that decimal as .06.....not .6

Baking soda raises TA and has virtually no affect on pH.

You have a testing or dosing error or a combination of those two.

it was possibly 10 lbs i didn't weigh it but every time i have done it it moves 20 ppm ...

my test kit is about a year old .. I tested the ph 3 times and got a high reading .. but it was fine yesterday .. or was it? hmmm
maybe i should just keep filtering and forget testing until I get a new test kit?

I would lower to pH to 7.2 and start the shock process
The problem I see there is that I don't know what OP's starting pH is. 8.2 for pH is purple.....7.2 is orange. SHADEZ, are you somewhere in the red to pinkish orange?

Testing and dosing accurately is imperative to managing your own pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Ph is about 7.5 and Ta is about 65 (turns purple at 60, turns red at 70)
I read that changing ta also changes the Ta
I'm about to shock tonight with bleach
I'm going to attempt to drop the ph with 1 lbs or so of dry acid
then I'll try shocking with bleach .. would this raise my ph back up along with raising ta a little also?
so I skip the baking soda?

there is no way, after your cya is dissolved for a week test cya if it is still not registering add enough more cya to get you to 40 in a sock in front of the return and wait a week and test again. as far as overshooting your goal aslong as you use the pool calculator you should end up close to where you want to be, but if you overshot it by a little no harm no foul just drain a little and top off the pool or let the rain do it for you......Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.