How soon is it safe to add shock/chlorine after adding CYA

Shaz

Aug 19, 2012
My CYA level was zero or very close, so added the recommended amount on the packaging. How soon after adding can i add additional chlorine or shock? I've been battling algae and my chlorine levels are almost non-existent, hence the CYA. The algae appears to be gone, pool is still a bit cloudly, but can see the bottom. I'm thinking I need to add chlorine ASAP so the algae doesn't have a chance.

Re: How soon is it safe to add shock/chlorine after adding C

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Shaz said:
My CYA level was zero or very close, so added the recommended amount on the packaging.
How much did you add and how did you add it? Suggest using the Pool Calculator to determine dosing amounts for all chemicals, including CYA. Note that it will take granular CYA about a week to appear in your test results.

Also, how are you testing for CYA?

I'll try to answer all of your questions in this one post. I'm using a 'strip' test kit that does measure CYA, as well as FC, TC and PH, alkalinity (sp?). I have been doing my best to follow the instructions to get rid of my 'green swamp'. I've used bleach continuously and dichlor once. I added granular CYA as thats what the product instructions specified. I'm aware that I need to order another test kit, but I do work full time and have been battling this algae hoping to have the pool cleared up & swim ready by Father's Day. I do appreciate your help!

Without the good test kit, I am not sure your goal is attainable. The strips are just not going to be reliable enough to maintain the correct FC levels and certainly not accurate enough to monitor the low CC and verify the OCLT.

Where are you located?

You don't want to add powdered "shock", because that will just add more CYA.

You can add bleach right away, the granules won't dissolve very fast. Liquid CYA will mix within minutes, especially if you help mix by brushing.

I'm in Kansas, very hot this week, 98 degrees today. I will order the TFP test kit straight away - I realize that you're right I'm probably not getting accurate levels and I do NOT want to take a sample to the pool store. I did purchase the CYA and Power Powder Plus Shock (Leslies) today. The shock is not supposed to contain any CYA. I followed the instructions on the packaging for the amount of CYA needed based on gallons - 2.5 lbs per 10,000 gallons of water. Thanks!

We need to be specific to give advice before you have the kit. Fill in these blanks ;):

I, Shaz, added ____ lbs of granular stabilizer and I added it by ___________________________.
I, Shaz, added ____ lbs or ____ oz of "shock" powder. {Although you are right that is cal-hypo so this is not as important}

{Added method of addition blank after Isaac's point below}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Also did you dump the CYA powder into the pool, add it to the skimmer, or use the sock method that we suggest using here. I ask because if you added it into the pool CYA stabilizer dissolves very slowly and is acidic so can damage your liner, if you added it to the skimmer then you need to avoid backwashing your filter for several days to give it time to fully dissolve.

Ike

I added 7.5 lbs of granular stabilizer today to the skimmers. i've added nothing else for 24 hours - the dichlor was added Sunday or Monday. Since then nothing but 16-121 oz bottles of 8% chlorine. As i said no green in the pool I manually vac'd last nite. tested water this AM chlorine levels appeared to be non-existent & the CYA barely registered. i know these readings are not anywhere near the accuracy of the TFP test kit. Hope this is enough info....

As mentioned CYA Stabilizer can take days to dissolve, so avoid backwashing the filter for at least the next 3 or 4 days, also once dissolved it can take up to a week to fully register on tests.

Ike

Whoa whoa ... now you just said you added dichlor ... which is NOT the product you said you bought which is cal-hypo. I am thinking that your last post was not correct.

7.5 lbs (120oz) of stabilizer will only raise the CYA by 26ppm. But I would hesitate to add any more until you get a real CYA test.

Did you pour it through the skimmer so it is not slowly dissolving in your filter? Or is it in a sock or something in the skimmer basket?

I took the baskets out of the skimmers and added half of the mixture to each skimmer directly. I apologize - i did add some dichlor early on in this process approximately 24 oz - I have not added any chlorine in any form for the last 24 hours. I purchased the Power Powder today, but have not added as I didn't know if it was safe to do so (my original question). If necessary I can backwash the filter & go buy the liquid stabilizer, but I have no idea at this point whether there is any CYA in the pool. While I'm waiting on my test kit and trying to get this CYA issue sorted is it ok for me to add the shock I purchased today (calcium hypochlorite is the only active ingredient). As I mentioned, I don't want the algae to come back - the pool is much clearer and no green. I don't have time to run to the store & buy more bleach - can I use the cal hypochlorite safely? Thank you

The dichlor would have added about 2.6ppm of CYA in addition to your 26ppm from the stabilizer that is now in the filter. Just leave it and assume you are at around 30ppm until you have your kit.

Yes it is safe to use the cal-hypo, but it is adding calcium which you do not need. And actually liquid chlorine / bleach is usually cheaper in terms of the FC ppm you get.

Without knowing your CH levels we can't tell you if you can safely use the cal-hypo, which raises both FC and CH, the only way to lower CH is through water replacement.

Thank you for the assistance. I do appreciate this website and your methods - I dislike the 'pool store' and would be happy to never go back. I will order the test kit and post the real levels as soon as I receive. In the meantime I'll leave the CYA alone and add nothing but chlorine. Again, appreciate all the advice - you guys are great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.