Too Big of a Pump?

FUBAR

May 29, 2013
Charleston, WV
My 1/2 hp 3A pump is on it's last leg. A family member has a 1 hp pump that I can have. My sand filter for size reference holds .5 cu ft or 50# of sand max. My question is, would going from the pump I have now that came with or was paired with my sand filter, to a larger 1hp pump work? I don't know what the negative effects would be if I were to over power through the filter. Thanks,

9,400 gallon AG Vinyl, 1/2hp - Sand Filter, Fresh water, Solar Water Heater, BBB Method

I couldn't tell you the pump model number right away as my family member works out of town during the week. And I'll look for more filter specs in a bit. What happens if you pair too big of a pump to a filter? Does it not give adequate time or reduce the capability of the sand actually filtering?

9,400 gallon AG Vinyl, 1/2hp - Sand Filter, Fresh water, Solar Water Heater, BBB Method

The water flows to fast through the sand bed potentially causing sand channeling and poor filtering.

Do you know if the 1 hp is and in ground or above ground pump? Often in ground pumps move significantly more water than the same hp above ground pumps.

Above ground. I don't know if it is a variable speed pump..which I'm sure would help. The effective filtration area is 1.07 ft squared. Filtration rate is 20-25 gpm/ft squared. Max working psi is 50.

Not that you asked, but your filter is too small. For 9400 gallons we would recommend a minimum of a 1.8 sqft sand filter (18" diameter).

25 GPM is a pretty low flow and that 1 HP is likely going to far exceed that.

Well I could either bite the bullet and upgrade the whole setup, or scrounge a bunch more black water line and build another solar heater..this time on top of the roof which is 150' up a hill. That should draw the 1hp pump down if I plumb it to it. Lol. But in all seriousness ill probably save up and upgrade the filter/pump combo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.