Does my pool need to "breathe"?

choitink

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 12, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
With the pool surrounded by trees and our young kids I am happy to have the auto-cover. I hardly use up any FC. Dumb question here, but should I open the cover for a bit even on days when not in use? I notice the potent chlorine smell upon opening and then smell nothing after a few minutes. Thought I read something here once about the sun "burning off the CC".

FC 8.5
CC 0
CYA 70
TA 80
pH 7.4
CH 280

Thanks!

You are absolutely spot on. Pools do like to breathe and one of the primary reasons is for the sun to burn of any CC's that may have developed.

Nice looking numbers, too. Thanks for posting them.....gives us a good picture....bet your water is crystal clear.

Perfect. Thank you for the speedy replies! Easily open once per week even in our garbage weather this spring. Water is so clear thanks to TFP and we cleared up a friend's white/cloudy pool thanks to you guys. I am just plain chicken to let the FC get much lower after all the photos of green pools I have seen people send in here for help. A little further into my first year here and I will likely relax and dial it back a bit.
Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.