Wish me luck...

jdw999

Jun 11, 2013
Central Texas
First time pool owner. Been lurking here and reading all I can (sort of simple minded, so I have read most of it twice) and the wife has been going to a Pool Store and getting advice. Now I have to try and convince her that the methods that I want to use, the ones that are here on this forum, are better and less expensive than buying all that Crud from the pool store.

You're doing the right thing. Pitch it to your wife this way....the pool store is the shady mechanic down the street trying to hustle a buck. TFP is your beloved uncle who is also a mechanic, gives FREE advice and helps you fix your car for the best value and fixes it right the first time. Pretty easy choice.
*no mechanics were harmed while typing this post*

Heh....pool newb myself (proper intro post coming, waiting on test kit)....ran through the BBB method with the wife and the first thing she said after the strange looks I was getting after I mentioned baking soda and Borax was....

"I don't want to smell like bleach!" :rant: .

My google-fu skills found an article showing how the lack of bleach is what gives the ammonia smell in pools.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.