Pool design, need advise on decking

May 14, 2013
austin/texas
So I am pretty close finalizing my upcoming Salt water FB pool with the designer and wanted to get opinions/advice regarding decking around the tool.
I am thinking on doing a brazilian wood around it on one side and then leverage existing concrete I have on the other half and cool kote it.
Is Brazilian Walnut (IPE) or Brazilian purpleheart hardwood going to hold against the salt water, will I need to seal it every year? I am thinking about using composite wood but read/heard that its prone to getting moldy from the pool water.
Is there another wood I shold consider instead?

thanks for all the help.

Ipe should not be sealed, as it is pretty dense and a sealant will not do much for it. I would instead suggest a penetrating oil like TWP 100. It should be pressure washed (lightly) and oiled every year.

antoniosp said:
thanks for the input. I looked into cypress but seems it will require more maintainance that IPE.

Not really, I oil seal it every 2-3 years, it resists bugs, little shrinkage.

I bought it green rather than kiln dried, 1/2 the price dried out after install no issues.

I love IPE. One of the downsides, other than cost, is the difficulty installing it. I recommend you use grooved IPE and use IPE clips with stainless screws to install it. If you decide to screw the boards down each hole will have to be predrilled and countersunk or the wood will split. Post some pictures when you finish!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's the price on grooved ipe in your area? When I built my deck, I used ungrooved (I used plugs) 1" and got it at $3.50 linear foot. It was pricey then, and I can only imagine it has gone up. I assume it's somewhere in the $4-5 range now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.