Battling a green pool, low FC

Jimstinger5 said:
The BBB method seems to be working. I just tested the water and the new numbers are encouraging. My pool has lost any trace of green, but now the water is cloudy. I can see about 3 feet into the pool before it clouds over.

Any suggestions on my next move?

My water results were:

TA: 130
ph: 7.5
TC: 9.5
FC: 8.5
CC: 1.0
CH: 170
CYA: 30

Guys, how do you get to these FC and CC numbers ? I bought a fairly decent test kit but it still only reads up to 5.0. Should I double the sample size and then put some into the container to read it, doubling the result ? Can I do something along those lines to get accurate readings while in the superchlorination part ?

Appreciate any feedback you have to offer !

Steve
24' Round A/G Pool with sand filter, 1hp pump

Jimstinger5 said:
Would you recommend that I add the bleach in the evening so it won't dissipate in the sunlight?? I thought I read something about this in another thread...

The process of shocking your pool is complete when:

A. You hold FC loss to 1.0 or less overnite
B. Your CC's test .5 or less
C. Your water is sparkling

Then you can stop shocking and let the FC drift down. When you start maintenance chlorine level, add bleach in the evening when the sun is off your pool.

Progress made so far, but is the finish line in sight?

My pool is cloudy but getting better. Skimmer sock is picking up big amounts of pollen and crystals(from burn out residual?).

I think my water numbers are getting better but I have ONe question: What should I add to boost the chlorine numbers? The pool guy recommends 3 bads of burn out. I have liquid bleach(6%). Also, my FC was about 8 yesterday and is 5 today...What is the answer???

CYA- 30
FC- 5
CC - .5
TC 4.5
ph- 7.2
TA - 130

As Joyce said, a FC loss of less than 1. Your's dropped by 3 so you still have something consuming your Chlorine, your not done yet. Bump it back up to 15 and keep adding chlorine to keep it at 15 until your water has cleared. Keep running the filter and backwashing till it's clear and the 15 holds.

Don't use the burnout. Just keep using the 6%. I know your getting anxious, this is normal you've been at it for awhile. Youre almost there!!! Have another dose of POP.

A drink may help with the POP...:)

I don't think you should add CYA, do the bleach first, because you'll just be draining off CYA every time you backwash. In another day or so when it's clear, and you are finished backwashing, you can add CYA to your skimmer, where it will dissolve slowly. They say not to backwash for like a week, if you put the CYA in your skimmer.

Jimstinger5, let the CYA stay low for now. You have enough to prevent drastic sunlight losses and low CYA makes fighting algae easier. Later, when the water is clear, you should add some more CYA to get into the 30 to 50 range.

ssmith1627, You need a FAS-DPD chlorine test. TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature, sells it as part of their kit and by it's self.

Two FC tests:

Last night FC was 10.5 and this morning was 10. Pool is still blue and cloudy. Should i just let the filter do its' work or should I keep testing all levels and add more BBB love?

Yesterday's numbers:

CYA- 25
FC- 5
CC- .5
TC 4.5
ph 7.2
TA - 130

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I feel like I'm right there with you. Starting battling my green pool on Thursday. Had it it BLUE on Friday. Was adding a ton of chlorine and it was eating it up -- would drop to near zero overnight. But it didn't drop like that last night. And didn't drop like that during the day today. Still adding more to be sure the levels are high but feels like I'm winning the battle now. As was said above -- hopefully the filters can do the job for us now ! Nice to have someone going through almost the same thing as I am ! Especially with so many people willing to help.

Steve

It's now been close to 2 weeks and i'm starting to see improvements. Pool is clearing up-can see the bottom in the shallow end. I'm not running out of patience but I still not happy with my test #'s:

CYA- 25
FC- 0
CC- 0
TC 0
ph 7.0
TA - 130

As you can see, the chlorine levels have gone! Could someone critique the following steps i took today or make recs?

I added stabilizer to raise the CYA and then shocked the pool. I'm hoping that this will help maintain the FC level. The pool is clearer(although still loaded with pollen!). Is this the right course of action? I have not backwashed in a while(the pressure has been fine) and the filter has been running non-stop for about a week. I also just REMOVED my filter sock because it was getting so clogged with pollen each day, the water circulation was poor.

Although i have been using my TF test kit, i have also been having the pool store test the numbers- I don't take much stock in their results, but i'm running out of test additives(especially for FC) after just one week with the kit!!!!

A little frustrated but still keeping my sanity!!!

Any insights would be appreciated.

Are you aerating to lower the TA? Is that the reason for the low PH?

Pour in a jug of bleach and raise your chlorine....adding the stabilizer should help, what was your target (how much did you add to raise it to what #?)

Is this a vinyl lined pool? I don't see your hardness number...

I too wish the kit came with more testing powder. They should offer a kit with double the powder upgrade....hehehehe

I have a plaster finish(gunite pool). Leaving out the CH reading was an oversight- my CH is 165.

I poured in 4 gallons of 12.5% to spike the FC back up and make sure I kill off anything left in the pool(it was nice and green a week and a half ago.

I am still an amateur who is learning and i don't quite know what 'aerating' the pool is. The only thing that has been lowered on purpose in my pool is my own patience! I haven't tried to lower anything :-D

As you mentioned in the last post, my other numbers are a little low, but am i on the right path by focusing on the cya and FC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.