Pump motor replacement for Anthony pump?

JB426

Jul 23, 2008
Here's my pool info:
Small in-ground gunite pool about 7,850 gallons
Pump is Anthony AR205-L
Pump motor is AO Smith K48K2P101, 1 HP, 1.25 Service Factor, Amps 12.6/6.3
Anthony Apollo DE filter 52 sq. ft.
Anthony pool heater

All old stuff but seems to be good quality.

The pump was leaking from the shaft seal, I think, since it was on that side of the seal plate. I replaced the shaft seal but it's still leaking a little. Took me a long time to get the motor off since it was frozen to the stud bolts, nuts came off fine. I'm not sure how long this has been in operation but probably since sometime in the 90's. I suspected it might not work since the motor shaft was slightly grooved, but I used emery cloth to smooth it out some and tried anyway but no luck. It's pumping now but it does not have the same flow as before. The impeller seemed fine and is not plugged and the skimmer and lint trap are clean. I was thinking the motor just may be worn out? I was going to replace the whole pump but I'm trying to save money at the moment and I'm not sure I want to try to do the plumbing connections. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to just replace the motor? This seems like too big of a pump for the size of the pool but am I now stuck with replacing with the same HP motor that's in there now? I would like to go to a 2 speed motor but I'm trying to keep as inexpensive as possible for now and then when I replace the pump I can go with a 2 speed. Does voltage matching make any sense? There's a 3/4 HP AO Smith motor USQ1072 with voltage of 13.4/6.7 that is higher than my current motor. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you sir. I think I'll just go with the 48Y AO Smith USQ1102 which is 1hp and SF 1.25 which matches the current motor. The amps listed are higher at 15.3/7.6 but I guess I won't worry about that. Everything else matches.

Thanks again.

jblizzle said:
Did you consider a replacement with a 2-speed motor to save some money on electricity by running on low most of the time?

I definitely have considered that and I know that would be a better solution thanks to you guys here. I was just trying to stay as inexpensive as possible right now. So I would still match the HPxSF to the current motor? If I can find one for a good price I still might go this route. With the pump being as old as it is do you think it would be worth it to put a more expensive motor on it?

I missed your mention of the 2-speed in the original post. Yes just match the SFHP for high speed with your existing motor.

The wet end should last a long time. If it is in good shape and not leaking, it should be fine with a new motor.

Thanks for the help guys. I just went with the single speed. I know 2 speed would be better for energy savings but we only have the pool open about 4 months a year so the energy savings wouldn't be too much. The single speed direct replacement was only $145 and maybe it will extend the life of my pump a few more years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.