Three weeks and still cloudy

girlgeekFL

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 28, 2008
We have been trying to clear up our pool for over three weeks....shocked it and the next day it was cloudy. We've been running the pool pump 24/7 for three full weeks and have seen little improvement.

We have been putting in a large container of chlorine (126 oz) every day.

This morning, before putting in chlorine the readings were:

FC 10
TC 12
PH 7.4
TA 80
CYA had been between 20-30 even with stabilizer...today it was <20 :(

We're ready to empty the stupid pool and just keep going to the beach!

According to your test results you have 2 ppm CC's and according to your own admission you haven't shocked the pool. Adding a jug per day isn't shocking the pool. You need to add enough to get to shock level for your CYA (30ppm) and test and adjust it every couple of hours. You'll be surprised how fast it goes once you serious about it.

With the low CYA, was the FC staying up during the day or was it getting low again by the end of the day? It needs to stay up. If the FC drops at the end of the day, then algae will just grow again.

Assuming you've kept the FC up and have been brushing and fixed any circulation problems, then as a last resort you could use either a clarifier such as GLB Clear Blue® or a flocculant such as OMNI Liquid Floc Plus, but with the flocculant you would need to be able to vacuum-to-waste and I suspect you can't do that since you have a cartridge filter (unless they plumbed for such capability, but usually they don't with that kind of filter).

However, if you haven't been doing the shock process properly, you should try that first.

Did you ever figure out whether or not your bottom drain was working?

Bama Rambler said:
According to your test results you have 2 ppm CC's and according to your own admission you haven't shocked the pool. Adding a jug per day isn't shocking the pool. You need to add enough to get to shock level for your CYA (30ppm) and test and adjust it every couple of hours. You'll be surprised how fast it goes once you serious about it.

Love the 'tude. Don't tell me I'm not SERIOUS about this...because I am. We dumpedi n shock the first day and actually HAVE put in shock a few times over the last few weeks. Also, according to the pool calculator we were putting in enough to put the chlorine at 20 every day which is what I thought I had read several places on here we would need to do. I just got my 2006 chlorine test kit today so I couldn't test past 5 until then.

You might try to improve your bedside manner.

chem geek said:
With the low CYA, was the FC staying up during the day or was it getting low again by the end of the day? It needs to stay up. If the FC drops at the end of the day, then algae will just grow again.

Assuming you've kept the FC up and have been brushing and fixed any circulation problems, then as a last resort you could use either a clarifier such as GLB Clear Blue® or a flocculant such as OMNI Liquid Floc Plus, but with the flocculant you would need to be able to vacuum-to-waste and I suspect you can't do that since you have a cartridge filter (unless they plumbed for such capability, but usually they don't with that kind of filter).

However, if you haven't been doing the shock process properly, you should try that first.

Did you ever figure out whether or not your bottom drain was working?

We put chlorine in during the morning and in the evening to keep it up. I couldn't test over 5ppm until today so I can't answer that first question.

We have been brushing every day...several times a day. My husband has been vacuuming also. We do have poor circulation in the deep end, unfortunately. We had a blockage last season and after a pool company came out and fixed it, the circulation was great for a few months and then by the end of the season for us (Oct.) it had really died down. We have spa jets on one side of the pool that work great and really move the water. They are, though, right across from the skimmer so most of the water movement is in the more shallow part of the pool. We used to be able to run the spa jets AND the two returns at one time but for some reason, since the incident last summer, we can't do both at the same time. Can't afford to get it fixed right now unfortunately so I go out and stir up the deep end waters several times a day.

No, that bottom drain doesn't work and we have not been able to get ANY response from the pool company who installed the pool (they say they don't have the records anymore). We have no info on the pool or plumbing at this point. :(

Thank you SO much for your help and suggestions!!

I've been successfully keeping our pool clean and clear for four seasons...this is the first time since we bought the house in 2008 that we have had to deal with a green pool and our a/c is also not working so it is 90 in the house and no pool. Makes us a bit cranky without our pool to swim in.

Brushpup....just put in 126oz of 8.5% an hour ago. We DID do the shock process three weeks ago. Our pool is NOT green at this point. It is milky/cloudy.

I'll have my husband get more chlorine and we'll try to keep it up at 30 for a few days and see if it helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Butterfly said:
The Shock Process should be maintained until you pass all three tests. See red lines in my sig.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Well, we THOUGHT we were shocking every day by following the pool calculator's recs to add 126 oz 8.5% chlorine so....

As I said earlier, I'm having my husband get MORE chlorine today AND I have my Taylor 2006 chlorine test today so I can check past 5ppm for the chlorine. :)

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll post results later.

I'm happy to report that the pool is almost clear. This morning I could see the main drain in the deep end and this afternoon I can see it even more clearly. CC had been 0 yesterday and this morning. Hoping to be all clear tomorrow!

Thanks again for all your support. :-D

Oh, and a/c got fixed on Thursday...so nice to have the house back down to 80 instead of at 90! :party:

Daughter has been sick but is feeling better so we will be in the pool today...as soon as we are done with school. It's so hot outside that our dog hasn't had her usual play time outside so she will be happy to go in the pool as well!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.