Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Treat Water While Filling?

1. Back To Top    #1

Treat Water While Filling?

I pumped all the water out of my pool last fall to save some of my larger shrubs in the drought. I want to avoid all the trouble I had last summer with algae. I am filling the pool now at a few hundred gallons a day - trying not to overwork my well pump. It will take a week or so to fill. Is it worth treating every day or will the water volume change too quickly to matter?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, it is worth treating the water. But to do that you need to establish some circulation. Do you have a small pump, perhaps a cover pump or sump pump, you could use to get the partially full pool water circulating? You would only need to run the pump for half an hour to an hour after adding chemicals.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a sump pump. I will start treating it then. Should I bother with stabilizer at this point or just plan on checking pH and adding chlorine each day?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    I'd go ahead with the stabilizer as well. Maybe not all of it but perhaps half will give you a nice headstart on a balanced pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help.

I have a couple more inches to go and pool will be full. chelating agent was added last night, adding stablizer a bit at a time. I will shock today - wanted to let chelating agent work. pH is a bit high but will I retest in a few days since the CYA lowers it. I hope this year I can avoid all the issues I had last year.