Best location to install skimmer/Intex Ultra Frame

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
After assembling and filling our new 18' Intex Ultra Frame I was hoping to use the old over-the-wall Intex skimmer for a while, but I managed to break the arm of the skimmer and it can't be repaired longterm. I guess going with a through-the-wall skimmer got put on the front burner. I'm probably going to go with the Hayward SP1091LX but I want advice on the best location. I have posted a diagram of the pool below, with the green lines representing the sections that are an option and the red lines not an option (future deck location).

The current Intex inlet (LH side, water flowing into pool) and outlet (RH side, water flowing out to pump) are marked. Let's also assume that hypothetically I may have a high side and a low side to the pool, no more than an inch or so difference in the height of the water, due to the frame being not perfectly level. Not a problem whatsoever but still perhaps a factor in the decision. The prevailing wind, if there even is one, would be from the west/southwest blowing around the corner of the house to the north/northeast.

Right now I'm leaning toward the section on the due-north side (the "low" side) and running a flexible PVC back to the new Hayward pump when I get ready to set it up. I'm also considering re-plumbing the inlet to become a second outlet, along with the new skimmer, and running the inlet to the RH side hole (the former outlet) to become the new inlet. Does any of this make sense? Hope it does and some of you have some helpful insights. Thanks.

Why wouldn't you pot the skimmer under the deck? It wouldn't be a problem for you to have an access hatch in the deck.

Unless your deck height will be below the waterline of the pool, that is. Even then, it would still be doable, just more of a pain.

Charlie_R said:
Unless your deck height will be below the waterline of the pool, that is. Even then, it would still be doable, just more of a pain.

Bingo. I'm just trying to keep things as uncomplicated as possible, and cluttering up the deck area with a skimmer doesn't fit that description. I'm wondering if anyone has both a TTW skimmer and the PoolSkim. Do they compliment each other or work against one another?

I would guess that they would work together. Granted yours is only an 18', but I've seen 24' and 30' with 2 TTW skimmers Both pools were unavoidably near trees, so probably needed two skimmers to keep the floaties to a dull roar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.