Drain and Refill Pool Question

BB BMW

May 14, 2013
Alabama (Roll Tide)
I would like to paint the fiberglass steps leading into our pool, but will need to drain it down to about 8 inches of water.
What precautions should I take when draining the pool?
How long can it remain with low water?

16x32 Vinyl Inground pool
around 15,000 gallons
Chlorine (BBB Method)

I can paint the steps in an hour or so, but they need to dry/cure for 3 days before refilling based on the weather.

Any suggestions or opinions will be appreciated.

We generally recommend leaving at least 12" of water in the shallow end to reduce the likelihood of the liner slipping ... can you lower it more and be ok? Maybe.

The other danger is the liner shrinks and will not go back into place when you refill ... how old is the liner?

Another consideration is what is your ground water level? If it becomes higher than the pool water level, your liner will float.

jblizzle said:
We generally recommend leaving at least 12" of water in the shallow end to reduce the likelihood of the liner slipping ... can you lower it more and be ok? Maybe.

The other danger is the liner shrinks and will not go back into place when you refill ... how old is the liner?

Another consideration is what is your ground water level? If it becomes higher than the pool water level, your liner will float.

I propably need to lower it to around 6-8" in shallow end to get full access to the lowest step.
The liner is about 3 years old. When we had the liner installed, we chose a dark blue and my wife did not like the look of the current white steps.
So we painted them when the liner was installed. However the paint has begun to chaulk and flake some, so we need to repaint.
Ground water level is not a problem.

Richard320 said:
I don't have a vinyl pool, and I've never tried painting a pool personally, but I've only seen one paint job that lasted mentioned in these forums.

Question: why paint? Is the fiberglass stained or something?

Wife deos not like the look of white steps with dark blue liner.

Do you recall the post of the paint job mentioned on this forum?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.