rope lighting

Welcome to TFP!

You almost certainly need to replace the rope lights. There isn't anything in the panel box that would wear out without failing completely.

Keep in mind that it is dangerous to have anything electrical within 10 feet of the water unless it is specifically designed to be installed with a pool. I don't know of any rope lights that are approved for pool use.

Thanks for your reply!

The rope lighting surrounds the perimeter of our pool, maybe a foot above the water, within a track that runs just above the tracking for our automatic cover . There's a large box sitting in a landscaped area that controls the lights. Somebody had told me once that there's a part in that box that we should try replacing first, but I've lost my notes on what he said it was. We also have small light spots in our concrete that light up where a person needs to step up or down. This is also tied into the rope lighting and that box. I'm confused on how these get replaced because they dimmed along with the rope lighting. Would a contractor put all these spot lights in when there's no way to ever replace them once they dim???

So... if I understand it correctly, you have 110v power inside the LED rope 12 inches from your water? The step lights are likely to be designed for wet installations but I am not too sure about a permanent installation of LED rope lights.

Let's hope you don't have an accident.

Sounds like they are 12 or 24 vdc lights ran from a landscape lighting power supply. It's possible that the power supply is failing. Are they LED lights? It could just be that the insulating material/light covers have discolored from the uv rays. How do the lights connect to the box? Regular outlet type plug or are they hard wired to the box. If there is a label on the box it would be nice to see a pic of it or tell us what it says.

I know this is a somewhat old thread but I was reading it and thought I might need to add another possibility. Isn't it somewhat common for people to do fiber-optic lights around the perimeter of a pool?? So it's possible that these "rope lights" are actually fiber optic light and that the lights on the steps are also fiber optic lights. If that's the case then the part that someone might have told you needs to be replaced is the light source. Fiber optic lights really aren't lights at all, they're just strands of wire/fiber that conducts light from another point. That might explain why both places of light got dimmer at the same time, the source of the light got dimmer.

Or I'm completely wrong and it's actually rope lights. Could be either. Maybe a picture helps? :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.