Skimmer baskets and Crepe Myrtle trees

Jun 12, 2013
I am the President of a Condo COA. Our pool guy told us that the pump burned out due to crepe myrtles and cool deck materials.

Was wondering about the skimmers? is there a better basket that will catch this debris and not let it through?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like maybe he needs to check the strainer basket a little more often.

You can filter out finer particles with skimmer socks. May need to skim the surface a little more often using a leaf rake though. Also a good idea to trim the trees a little closer too.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like maybe he needs to check the strainer basket a little more often.

You can filter out finer particles with skimmer socks. May need to skim the surface a little more often using a leaf rake though. Also a good idea to trim the trees a little closer too.

Thanks, the Crepes are actually about 10 plus feet away and the wind is catching them. Will look at the use of a sock.

Thanks

What size pool?
What size pump?
How many skimmers?
How often does he check the skimmers?

I agree with the rest. If the skimmer gets full enough to cause the pump to burn up, he isn't cleaning it nearly often enough.

harleysilo said:
Is he suggesting the cool deck material reflected too much heat and that made the pump run hotter than normal?

No he is suggesting that it is flaking off, which we know and are addressing it for replacement, getting on folks feet and then into the pump system.

Thanks!

digitalshooter said:
harleysilo said:
Is he suggesting the cool deck material reflected too much heat and that made the pump run hotter than normal?

No he is suggesting that it is flaking off, which we know and are addressing it for replacement, getting on folks feet andthen into the pump system.

Thanks!

What type of filter system? If it is really getting into the pump that all that got through should be in the filter. Open it up and inspect. The pump has a strainer basket, should be some large chunks in that.

Does this stuff float? Doubt it. So it gets sucked up via manual vacuum? Still it should be in the filter.

harleysilo said:
digitalshooter said:
harleysilo said:

No he is suggesting that it is flaking off, which we know and are addressing it for replacement, getting on folks feet andthen into the pump system.

Thanks!

What type of filter system? If it is really getting into the pump that all that got through should be in the filter. Open it up and inspect. The pump has a strainer basket, should be some large chunks in that.

Does this stuff float? Doubt it. So it gets sucked up via manual vacuum? Still it should be in the filter.

Thanks, again I am not pool savy so I cant answer your question about the type filter system. All I recall while in the pump room was two setups, one running and one not. Two very large pressurized tan colored ball like items connected to the pumps.

This is out of town and I wont be back up there soon. We had another company out for a second opinion, and we received the same comment about the Crepe Myrtles but nothing about the cool deck flaking.

Here is what we were told:

The baskets are commercial grade Val-pak baskets. They last 10x longer than most all baskets. Getting smaller holes or bigger holes will not make a significant difference. It will be wasted money. Larger holes and the debris passing through will fill pump strainer quickly. Smaller holes and the skimmer baskets will have less suction when full. The pool has been in our care for 8 years. We have many pools with crepe myrtle and yes it's a pain but that's why it's called work. The trees are blooming and producing debris but it's not an issue all year or even all summer. The trees are very pretty. Surrounding a pool with vegetation you have to expect blooms and leaves to fall into the pool. However the landscaping help makes Fox Run so pretty.

Skimmers help pull debris from the top but are no means a 100% effective. Smaller holes , bigger holes, skimmer socks, etc is not going to make a visible difference and could cause bigger problems. We need not forget keeping debris from entering the impeller is a concern also. We have had no issues other than the pump going out for a long time. It's best not to change anything. Pool is blue and clear. We can simply make a trip out in the middle of the week to empty baskets. That's been common in the past. Also remember the amount of blooms in the pool is exaggerated bc pump2 is non operational.

My suggestions. Get pump replaced with challenger pump and then all parts are new and pumps match with equal pressure and it's just a much better pump. 2nd choice, replace Northstar motor. Once that is complete we can evaluate the pool. I can take a trip out there on Wednesdays. If it needs skimmers emptied or pool needs cleaned then we can add that to our schedule.

Evaluating the pool and diagnosing problems while 1/2 of the entire system is not working is counter productive. Let's not spend money on anything not needed and when money is spent lets get the quality products.

Bobby

Pump 2 motor is no longer working and is in need of replacement. There are two options.
Option 1 recommeded To remove pump 2 motor and pump and replace with new challenger motor and pump. Price including installation is $1100. There will be a new motor 2.5hp, new pump, impeller strainer basket and impeller.

Option 2 .. Replace current motor, and seal and diffuser if needed,with a Northstar motor. Price including installation is $675.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are going to have Crepe Myrtles near the pool you will have to empty the skimmers several times a day. My neighbor has 5 huge crepe myrtles on his side of the fence. Due to prevailing winds, the blooms all end up in my pool! They drop blooms constantly. Some days my backyard looks like a pink blizzard has struck! I do not run my pump when I am away from home because the blooms will clog the skimmer basket within an hour some days. I have added the poolskim to my return and it helps a lot, but I don't know if it would be good in a condo situation where people horsing around may break it. There is nothing else you can do to negate the effects of debris in the pool. The pump burned out because the basket did its job and did not let the debris through. The problem was you had so much debris that it prevented the water from getting through as well. A finer basket would just clog that much quicker.

zea3 said:
If you are going to have Crepe Myrtles near the pool you will have to empty the skimmers several times a day. My neighbor has 5 huge crepe myrtles on his side of the fence. Due to prevailing winds, the blooms all end up in my pool! They drop blooms constantly. Some days my backyard looks like a pink blizzard has struck! I do not run my pump when I am away from home because the blooms will clog the skimmer basket within an hour some days. I have added the poolskim to my return and it helps a lot, but I don't know if it would be good in a condo situation where people horsing around may break it. There is nothing else you can do to negate the effects of debris in the pool. The pump burned out because the basket did its job and did not let the debris through. The problem was you had so much debris that it prevented the water from getting through as well. A finer basket would just clog that much quicker.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.