Switching from intex 1500 gallon pump to a 2650 gallon pump

Guyb

Jun 12, 2013
Hello,

I would just like to say up front thank you for any help i receive on this topic. I have two questions to ask. I just purchased an intex 16' ultraframe pool. It came with there standard 1500 gallon pump and filter, while filling my pool I started out using a hose and my well, unfortunately the bottom of my well was stirred during this and has put some clay in my pool water. I was able to fill up about a 1/4 of the pool and had a water truck come in to fill the rest. I have been running my current pump on a 12 hour cycle for about two weeks now I check my chemical levels and add them as needed but I still have a very cloudy green/ brown water. I just purchased an Intex 2650 gallon sand filter which I hope helps filter the water a little better. Is there anything else that I can do to help and try to remove the clay particles that are in my water?

The second question is, does anyone have any experience swapping out there old pump to this style pump, will I need to have any adapters or additional items to make this is smooth process? My pool is currently filled so any tricks to help keep the water in would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the pool so I apologize if this is a common issue was unable to find any topics in the forum on it.

Again thanks for any help I receive.

Re: Switching from intex 1500 gallon pump to a 2650 gallon p

Welcome to tfp, Guyb :wave:

The 2650 should be light years better at removing particles compared to the 1500.

You may have gotten enough organics that you need to do the shocking process. This is a great pool school article that can help you: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

Guyb said:
The second question is, does anyone have any experience swapping out there old pump to this style pump, will I need to have any adapters or additional items to make this is smooth process? My pool is currently filled so any tricks to help keep the water in would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the pool so I apologize if this is a common issue was unable to find any topics in the forum on it.
I would guess once you get the 2650, it will have all the parts you need to do the swap.

I know it isnt a plunger valve, it looks very similar though with a screw top on it basically with a lock and unlock position. Will the valves im describing that are on it now work with the new pump? here is an image of what valve i currently have.

Attachments

• valve.jpeg
    valve.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 40

Yes, those will work. Your new pump will hook up to them the same way as your current one. You don't need to swap out the hoses either. Just close the valves, take out your old pump, hook up your new one, and open the valves back up. That's it. May take a minute or two to prime the pump. Refer to the instructions. And I failed to notice before that you bought a sand filter, so disregard my advice about the cartridges.

That sounds great. Thanks for your help guys. I should be receiving the sand pump today and will let everyone know how the before and after goes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.