New swg

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
When my pool was originally plumbed,the installer put an inline check valve after the heat pump and before the swg. I am about to install a new auto pilot swg. Can anyone tell me if I should remove the check valve or keep it, reinstall? I assume it has to be installed vertically.

Thanks

How worst case? Worst case is hydrogen gas builds up when the SWG is on with no water flow and goes backward into the heater and explodes when the heater turns on.

This would take multiple failures though and most manuals I have seen do not require a check valve before the SWG.

jblizzle said:
How worst case? Worst case is hydrogen gas builds up when the SWG is on with no water flow and goes backward into the heater and explodes when the heater turns on.

This would take multiple failures though and most manuals I have seen do not require a check valve before the SWG.

:lol:

Doesn't sound so bad........ :whoot:

The AutoPilot manifold, when plumbed with the upper manifold loop upwards, acts as it's own gas trap (hartford loop), so the hydrogen gas cannot backflow with the chance of a failed flow switch and the pump off. Also, the AutoPilot should be wired so that if the pump is off, the AutoPilot should be powered down as well.
There's little to no concern if you leave the check valve off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.