Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first numbers with the TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

My first numbers with the TF-100

Just tested with the TF-100 kit that arrived this afternoon. Here's the results:

FC-3
    CC-1
    TC-4
    pH-7.5
    T/A-310
    CH-190
    CYA-48
    Temp-80F

This is my first pool. We bought this home last Nov. I opened the pool myself and did as best i could to get the chemistry balanced with the tests I inherited with the house.

I have ,what I assume to be, spots of mustard algae on the liner. not a lot of them, but enough to notice...some the size of a quarter, some the size of a dollar bill. I dove to try and scrub the spots off with a stiff brissled brush. Some of the spots came right off....some wouldn't.

I am trying to convert to BBB. I have a feeder delivering Trichlor Tabs right now. I have previously shocked with Cal Hypo. It's due again for shocking.

Any suggestions on converting to BBB from my current situation? Should I shock to 28ppm like the CYA Chart says I should to resolve the algae stains?

...And in regard to using bleach to shock: Will the water get cloudy like it does with Cal Hypo when I shock with bleach?
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Please tell me you meant CC with that second entry.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3
    I would start with regular shock level, FC at 16, and hold that till the algae is gone and you don't lose any FC overnight. Chances are that that will be enough. But to be really sure, follow that by bringing it up to high shock level, FC at 28, for 24 hours.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Re: My first numbers with the TF-100

I doubt the water will get cloudy when you use bleach.

I would suggest you not use the pucks much longer. Your CYA is high enough and the pucks will only make it too high if you keep using them.

Probably not mustard algae. Bringing the FC up high will probably eliminate most of them after a few days or so. Post back if they're not gone after you get your FC up

What criteria are you using to tell it's time to shock?

Consider yourself converting! BBB is all about understanding what's going on with your pool and knowing what to do about it without harmful side effects......you're on your way!.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: My first numbers with the TF-100

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    What criteria are you using to tell it's time to shock?

I'm using my CC. Thanks for your input. I shut the feeder off this morning to take the pucks out of the equasion. I'll shock to the recommended level and see what happens. Thanks again.
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.