EasyTouch/ScreenLogic2 and ATT Uverse??

seanm

May 13, 2013
I am getting an EasyTouch system installed tomorrow to control my pool/spa combo. I will likely be getting and installing myself the ScreenLogic2 system for remote control from the PC/iPhone. Since I know this is a internet facing system I wonder if there are any other users of this system on ATT Uverse. They have a wireless router in my garage that I will terminate the network side of the installation.

Have you been successful with your Uverse router and ScreenLogic2? Any issues I should look for? Any ports I may need to open to the outside world?

I know about the current "bricking" issue with the devices, but it sounds as though this is or is about to be resolved with software/server updates.... so I am not worried about this aspect.. Just the Uverse connection.

Thanks!!

-SeanM

great question, I also have uverse and am looking at this solution, first I need to order the items to attach to my system ($500) for the adapter and wireless adapter, is this what you have seen or are you running network cable directly to router?

You should not need to forward any ports on your router. I believe that all communications on the Pentair take place over a gateway. In other words, your iPhone/ipad connect to a gateway at Pentair and so does the protocol adater interface in your home. The gateway handles the communications between the devices. I downloaded the app from the Apple Store and it does not ask for an IP address. It only asks for an ID number for your device (protocol Adapter) and the password.

Jason,

Thanks for that info. I believe someplace in this forum, I asked if there was a features comparison matrix of these two devices. No response. Do you have such info available? I also seem to remember the device was out of stock and no note on availability. Has that changed?

-SeanM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One important factor that I believe everyone should consider when looking for a remote access option to their IntelliTouch and EasyTouch systems is that Pentair ScreenLogic2 is designed to not only allow a person remote access to their system but to actually be used as their primary (optional) control device, like their Indoor Control Panels, Wireless Remotes, MobileTouch etc. so the user interface is very important and ScreenLogics is beautiful compared to some of the third party designed stuff out there that look like they weer designed by the same web designers that Craigslist used. :lol:

One of the reasons it took so long for them to release the Android App for the system which they could have cloned the Apple one and modified it to get by, instead they really stepped it up with the new update so that the system does what it's intended to do with all their Apps and options now and in the future which to me now was worth the wait although being left in the dark for 2 years was painful to say the least.This along with the support from Pentair is something to consider unless you just want any type of remote control access.

Just my 2 cents as a Pentair, Jandy and Hayward Installer User. :-D

seanm said:
Mark,

Since you are a Pentair installer, have you installed a ScreenLogic system on an ATT Uverse router? I do appreciate the info you shared, but that was my original question. :)

Just to clarify I do not work for, nor do I receive any compensation from Pentair or any of the other BIG 3 mentioned. However, since I not only install equipment I "actually" have hands on use of the stuff 6 days a week and see first hand how certain equipment and systems work and don't work efficiently. And in my opinion Pentair crushes their competitors without a doubt (but that's another story).

Now with that said the short answer to your OP which I apologize for not addressing it properly in the first place is NO! :lol: sorry :hammer: Now I have read your OP again and you don't mention if you are on a PC or MAC.

If you're on a MAC, buy a PC :lol: oh yeah I'm as anti Apple as they get, but since so many [s:10dr6jio]sheep[/s:10dr6jio] people :p use Apple products I unfortunately have to deal with them on occasion being that I do network multimedia storage installations also. I have done a few where U-Verse is the ISP so in one way or another this experience may help you, who knows :?

U-Verse can be a PITA to set up network gear, it also can be easy as plug and play, I've experienced both when installing additional switches or routers and suggest you do so from your homes PRIMARY computer (the one AT&T used to set-up the equipment on initially). You shouldn't have to do the following but if you have to then you can log into the router from there if you need to assign a static ip address. As stated above the ip address for your log in is provided by Pentairs Servers not your homes, but I think you're inquiring if there has been any issues with basic connection in general.

I have found to get around any havoc in general with all ISP Hardware is to install an additional wireless router I use similar to this type by ASUS and have never had any issues with some pretty complex installations (ymmv). NO I'm not employed or compensated by ASUS I just know their products work for my needs.

You shouldn't have any trouble if you went the additional wireless router route which adds a whole bunch of other capabilities in the process but that is up to you.

EDIT*Tomorrow morning I'll hook the protocol up to a U-Verse box and see what happens and post back the results for you.

Good luck in the mean time.

EDIT: Removed irrelevant information and added U-Verse test

Thanks Mark. I had not noticed that those who have had issues with the ScreenLogic were MAC users. I am not. I have an iPhone, but the PCs in the house are all Windows based machines of various types. I will be hard wiring to the ATT U-Verse router, so perhaps I am worried about nothing. Thanks for the info!

-SeanM

The first mistake anyone could make in this situation is use a provided router. They are, more often than not, chosen because they perform decently and can be gotten cheaply on their end. Endurance and use of ease is rarely a high priority.
I would also caution against wireless, but that's just as a structured cabling tech.
However, running a length of cat5e (make sure it's no longer than 105 yards) doesn't bypass any issues you may have with routers. But if you have a good router, manually assigning anything shouldn't be an issue. It should be as simple as spotting, logging in and connecting to your home's network.

In regard to the ScreenLogic, the "new" wireless kit #521964 is superior and less than half the price of the older and now discontinued #520639 adapter, so make sure you're not buying or getting the old stock.

H.M. Murdock said:
The first mistake anyone could make in this situation is use a provided router.
With the networks I've done at least here in the Los Angeles area on U-Verse there is no choice but to use their equipment which are 2Wire either H3800/H3801 Residential Gateways fed by "VDSL" providing their Internet, Telephone and Television with no other option like you can do with some cable companies by purchasing your own DOCSIS 3 modem and whatever router you wish. But it is very easy to add another router like I stated above and use that to connect to.

H.M. Murdock said:
However, running a length of cat5e (make sure it's no longer than 105 yards) doesn't bypass any issues you may have with routers.
I'm not sure where you got that number from but the correct answer by TIA-568B Standard is, the cable run must be kept to a maximum of 295 feet (90 meters), so that with patch cords, the entire channel is no more than 328 feet (100 meters).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.