Liquid chlorine vs powder shock

ndully

Jun 11, 2013
The liquid seems to work so much better than the powder shock! But, when you have two seater car and are in work clothes to pick it up, the powder is just so much easier! Any thoughts?

Read the label on the product. If it says dichloro on it, it is a stabilized chlorine. Also check the label for copper sulfate pentahydrate. Believe me, you DON'T want that in your pool! Unless you LIKE green hair and fingernails!

Read the pool school (link at the top of the page).

Sand may be channelled and you may need to open it up and stick a hose in to get it redistributed, but sand almost never needs to be replaced in a pool filter even if it has been in there 20-30 years. Can you post a full set of current test numbers and describe how the pool looks?

The pool place didn't want me to do anything until Saturday, as I just added stabilizer on Wednesday.
TC - 5.0 ppm
FC - 5.0 ppm
PH - 7.0
TA - 170 ppm
CH - 70 ppm
Stabilizer - 25 ppm
Total Dissolved Solids - 3,100

My pool has been mostly green for about a year and a half. Just had some repairs done to the pump and bought a new pool cleaner :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ndully said:
The pool place didn't want me to do anything until Saturday, as I just added stabilizer on Wednesday.
TC - 5.0 ppm
FC - 5.0 ppm
PH - 7.0
TA - 170 ppm
CH - 70 ppm
Stabilizer - 25 ppm
Total Dissolved Solids - 3,100

My pool has been mostly green for about a year and a half. Just had some repairs done to the pump and bought a new pool cleaner :)

I'm gonna go ahead and guess those are numbers from the pool store?

Yes they are! I have a test kit but it is at least three years old. Even though the water is blue, it still looks slimmey to me in addition to be cloudy. When I maintained the pool consistently, that was my first clue that it needed chlorine, but the chlorine levels are high! I promise that if I ever get this thing clear again and will never shut off the filter in winter again!!!

You mentioned having used both forms of chlorine. What has been your primary source of chlorine in your pool since its last total water change? Solid stabilized powdered chlorine such as pucks, granules, powder; cal hypo, dichlor, trichlor? Or has it been liquid chlorine/bleach?

What prompted adding stabilizer, ie. CYA?

See my Sig for a few more details on how to go about cleaning and resettling your sand bed. Do note that an improperly working filter will never make for a green pool. Cloudy or murky but otherwise water looking, yes, green or non natural watery blue, no. Filters don't kill algae, chlorine does. Filters just trap the dead stuff and other particulate or organic matter.

I would say it a safe bet that if you have been using the pool store method, using stabilized CL for years on end and haven't changed your water frequently. Your stabilizer is through the roof, causing your pool to require much more CL than you can throw at it for it to make a difference and work to keep it clear and clean. Read up about it in Pool School, also in my Sig. The CYA to CL relationship.
You need to get one of our recommend test kits, if you don't already have one, so among other things you can test the CYA level yourself.

Honestly, I can tell you guys before it turned green and stayed that way , I never added anything but powder shock and baking soda...had a crystal clear pool until I shut the filter off in 2011. It has never been the same since. Wednesday was the first time ever that I have used stabilizer and last week for muriatic acid. I have been using liquid chlorine to shock the pool on and off primarily since 2011 (My neighbor lets me borrow his jugs). I am most definitely investing in my own good test kit. This is the first year that I have had my water tested by the pool co. always did it myself!

On Tuesday, I put in two 1lb bags of Suncoast Super Shock 4-Way Sanitizer and treatment along with 1 gallon of muriatic acid. On Wed, I added a gallon of liquid chlorine, another gallon muriatic acid, and 4lbs of Suncoast stabilizer/conditioner. The test kit I have test for Chlorine, ph, alkalinity, and acid demand. It looks like I will be heading to the pool store in the morning to try some Drop Down?1?!???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.