how to evaluate Chlorine generator output

Aug 1, 2010
Columbia, SC
I have a hayward prologic system and the main board was recently replaced. There are no errors showing. We just had several days of rain and the chlorine generator has been set at 50% running 24 hours a day. I tested the chlorine level today and it is negligible. Does this seem right? If I let it keep running will the level rise? How can I test the system?

The chances are very high that there is some problem with your chemical balance. It would help greatly if you could post a complete set of water test results.

The odds are very very high that the SWG is working just fine. However if you must, you can test it by measuring the FC level in the pool and then measuring the FC level of the water coming out of the SWG cell while the cell is active. The simplest way to do this is to open the union nut on the output side of the SWG just enough that it leaks a little and gather a water sample there while the cell is activated. The FC level coming out of the cell should be higher than the FC level in the pool.

If the FC is too low you need to raise it immediately with liquid chlorine.

You can loosen the downstream cell union a bit and grab a sample right out of the cell and test it. If it's higher than the pool water, the cell is working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.