ok to mix different types of chlorine?

Have been reading & taking in all the great info from this site. I am realizing all the things I am doing wrong, all the money I've wasted listening to the "pool store guys" & what I need to do to get my pool clear & sparkling again. This may seem like a dumb question but I'd rather be safe than to assume & cause some kind of funky dangerous chemical reaction. The question I have is, is it safe to use regualr household bleach 2 days post shocking with Cal. Hypo 52%, also have an in-line chlorinator w/ Di Chlor tabs AND I did add 32oz (wt) of baking soda prior to reading your forums yesterday. I'm pretty certain I know what to do now after reading your guides just not sure about the mixing of chemicals. Any help would be most appreciated. :)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

No problem using bleach in the water. You do NOT want to ever have the different forms of chlorine touch each other directly.

After 30-60 minutes of the pump running in the water, the chemicals are thoroughly mixed in the pool.

Did you order one of the Recommended Test Kits yet?

Thank you so very much for your quick reply! I will feel so much more at ease dumping in the bleach now. :) and I just want to confirm (even tho' I know I read it somewhere in here) just the plain ol' unscented bleach that you use in your laundry is what I'm to buy? No, I do not have or have yet ordered one of the recommended test kits yet. That will be my next purchase since the hth 6way strips that I have been using are not quite enough. Thanks again so much for your help.

Will do!! Again, thanks so much! I apologize my pool info isn't listed. I haven't figured out where I can add that so it will show up w/ each post. I will get one of those test kits & follow your guide I'm confident my pool will straighten out & if not, I'll be back to ask for help. Thanks!!

You need a good water test. Until you get a kit, many pool stores will test for free. Buy a few noodles while you're there, then plug the test results into the Pool Calculator and adjust as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get religious on testing ASAP, and you will soon find out what your pool needs on a "regular" day. Heavy use, rainy days, test and adjust!

I'm 2 weeks into my pool season with a new one. I was at about 44oz of bleach per day [rainy and sunny lately], but expecting a change now that my CYA has been added.

Once your CYA is right - no tablets anymore - bleach only. I test my pool once a month at the store for CYA, daily for everything else.

Ok have another dumb question Re: using liquid bleach. After reading this in the pool guide "This is your chlorine source for both daily chlorination and shocking." Can I use the liquid for shocking only & continue using the Di Chlor tabs in the chlorinator or should I stop the tabs & just use only the liquid for both?

Di-chlor adds CYA. Once your CYA is right, it will only need very minor adjustments.

Get the CYA right, then depend on bleach. Test monthly for CYA and adjust as needed using CYA "conditioner" as the source.

I'm back again w/ another question...at walmart & they have a 121 fl oz jug of Great Value bleach 33% more concentrated (it is not thick, fragranced etc) Ingredient label reads: Sodium Hypochlorite 8.25% w/ other ingredients 91.75%. Yields 7.86% available chlorine contains no phosphorus. Can I use this instead of the 6% standard? Thanks in advance.

I've also come to realize that in the pool calculator, you plug in the bleach % and it will change the quantity of bleach you need to reach your target. So instead of the 6% change it to 8.25%.

cmiller73 said:
I've also come to realize that in the pool calculator, you plug in the bleach % and it will change the quantity of bleach you need to reach your target. So instead of the 6% change it to 8.25%.

Yes. You MUST input the % of the bleach you are using (6, 8.25, 10, 12.5) or the calculated dosages will not be correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.