New home, new to me pool.

MattZ

Jun 11, 2013
Hello everyone, just bought a new place in December, house with 4.5 acres and barns and a pool. Neither me nor my wife has ever had a pool, though shes always wanted one. Just had to replace the liner, had that done a couple days ago. I am now almost done filling it with a combination of my well water; which is very clean, wonderful water, and creek water. The creek is about 300 feet behind my house and quite fast moving and wide, its not just a drainage ditch. After hearing horrors stories about redrilling wells at a cost of $20,000, there was no way I was gonna risk running my well dry. The water level is about 1 inch from the strainer bucket. We've tested the water and obviously the chlorine levels are zero and the Ph levels were very high, near 8.4ish I guess? I'm not quite sure why but from what I've read on here I need to get that level dropped to around 7.2 before I can even shock it correct? The water was pretty clear when I started, but its pretty green now. I assume mostly from sediment. I am filtering the water from the creek, but when I went to change the filter today it was partially collapsed so I'm sure some extra sediment got by. All of this chemistry is new to me and I'm learning the best I can. I like to know everything I can about a subject/hobby when I'm into it so I know this is the place I need to be. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to tfp, MattZ :wave:

MattZ said:
near 8.4ish I guess? I'm not quite sure why but from what I've read on here I need to get that level dropped to around 7.2 before I can even shock it correct?
As you said, it is best to get ph down near 7.2 before shocking. If your ph reads 8.2 (how did you get 8.4?) it may actually be higher. What is your TA?

MattZ said:
The water was pretty clear when I started, but its pretty green now.
Is it cloudy green or clear green?

Hi thanks!

It may have been 8.2, I used the strips, my wife used a little kit that has two smalls vials. She said "it might have been higher than 8.2." Whatever that means. Not sure on the TA, I will go back out and check.

Its a clear green. Thanks for the welcome and response!

Ok, alk - 240 ppm. Does that sound right?
Hardness - 430 ppm.

Btw, its a 24'x48" Above ground pool, using a Hayward cartridge filtering system. I also have that little bullet filter after my pump, uses an Ovation Pure filter? Not quite sure how or what that does but I need a new cartridge for it.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I have to make sure you are aware that test strips are not worth the paper then are one and urge you to order one of the Recommended Test Kits if you truly want to understand and maintain the pool more easily. This investment will easily save you money in the future.

Add a picture of this Ovation thing ... not sure what it is, but if it is a mineral system or a puck feeder, we would not recommend using it.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.