TC 2.4
PH 7.5
AK 90
CYA 60
Calcium 300
TDS 3300
The water is clear.
12,000 gallons.

When opening the pool this spring we had pond water. Throughout the winter sometimes smelled like rotten eggs. The pool is 4' deep all one level and you could not see the bottom. The color then was green. I used bleach like I always do in the spring and changed the water to opaque color and cloudy. Added powder shock to the pool and after several days we had clear water. I then balanced the pool and shortly there after the yellow to light brown/tea bag stain showed up on the steps and in the corners. Eventually some on side walls.

I used vitamin C to determine what to use and yes the Vitamin C worked. I used 1.75 lbs of Satin Free and it immediately got rid of the stain. Followed that with a half of a bottle of Metal Free. It's been about two weeks and now it has come back. Frustrated I took a sample in to check for metals. Results were .0002 on copper and big 0 on iron. That's the confusing part cause I am treating it as a metal stain but no metal is showing on the test. Getting ready to treat again with Stain Free followed by a full bottle this time of Metal Free.

Bottom line is why has it returned and what else can be done? I don't wont this expense of continuing to treat it. I want the problem solved. Please Advise.

I don't think Metal Free is one of the sequestrants we recommend ... the article lists the ones with the ingredient we recommend.

But, yes, you would have to keep adding it as a maintenance item ... how much and how often, I am not sure. But I think there is a way to test the level in the pool.

Assuming you were filling with water with no metal in it, theoretically, after lifting the stain and then draining the water, the metal would be removed.

Welcome to tfp, mjurkowski :wave:

mjurkowski said:
So would I use the Metal Free as maintenance to prevent the stain?
JL mentions metal free here:
JasonLion said:
ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. Metal Free is not in this group and is noticeably less effective. It does work, just not nearly as well.

Made a ton of phone calls today. Is there truth to your water not showing a reading for iron because its stuck to your wall as the stain?
Last night I treated with Stain Free and scrubbed with vitamin C. Tonight it is crystal clear and my next action will be to hold down my chlorine, PH on the low side and AK at about 90. treat with a maitanance product. At first sign of the stain coming back I wont fight it. I will get rid of it and drain the pool. I had my tap water tested today and its clear of any metals.

I don't wont this expense of continuing to treat it. I want the problem solved.
Then water replacement is your only course. Sequestrants never remove metals....only suspend them.

Like you, I would try to find the source. Do you fill from a well? City Water? It seems that without knowing the source, it's hard to figure out what to do next.

It would be city water. Interesting thing is last night late whole browsing the web I c the culater product 1.0 n 4.0. Claims r it can remove low levels of metals. Have u heard about it? What the heck I'll try it! I vacuumed to waste last night n cleaned my sand filter. Check chemicals tonight when I get home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am close to draining my pool

I am close to draining my pool. I don't have time to monitor everything. I just discovered the cluster product last night and expect delivery by this weekend. Will report back later my results.

I changed out half of the water. While the level was down we cleaned with vitamin c and bar keepers friend. Filled back up on second day and the pool looks great! I have a c u later in the skimmer. Chlorine is 2. PH at 6.9, 80 on my ask and 60 on my cya. I am planing on keeping my chlorine and pH on the low side. I've backed off the swg to 20%. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.