FC=0
CC=0
PH=7.4
PH=7.6
TA=80
CH=vinyl pool
CYA=30
Salt 2900

Had one pool store tell me I needed stabilizer and another said I had ammonia and needed to shock. I'm not even sure how you know if you have ammonia or not???? Anyway, I have an autopilot set to medium power and 65% output with pump running about 10 hours a day. So maybe I do have some organics that are eating my chlorine or maybe my salt cell (SC-60) is on it's last leg. This is the fifth season and I'm not sure if they degrade over time or just quit. I thought I would seek some advice about which way to go before I go load up on bleach at Sam's Club. Thanks in advance!

Raise your FC to normal level for a CYA of 30 for now (4 ppm FC) with bleach then do an overnight chlorine loss test OCLT , if you maintain FC all is good and then you can worry about getting your CYA up to the 40-50 ppm suggested range (depending on amount of sunlight, etc.) If you fail the OCLT then you need to follow the shock procedure which will cure the FC loss regardless if it is caused by organics or by amonia.

Ike

p.s. be ware advice from pool stores

I am going to have to clarify Isaac a bit. I would raise the FC up to around 10ppm with bleach. Leave the pump on, turn the SWG off, and perform the OCLT.
If you fail, then you need to go through the shock process.
If you pass, then you can raise the CYA up toward the 60-80ppm recommended for SWG pools.

Without knowing more history of the situation, on further thought I would agree with Jason's slightly mroe aggressive FC level prior to getting the results from the OCLT.

Oops sorry I missed the SWG for the CYA level, what I get for multi tasking at work, however if your SWG is dead and you are not going to replace it right away the lower CYA level for conventional pools still stands.

I took the initial advice...sort of(raised my FC to 6 by accident)...and ran with it. Maybe the results will not matter. I did not run the pump. This morning, FC is 3.5 so apparently something is eating my chlorine. So at this point is it better to go ahead with the shock process or should I do as later suggested and raise the FC to 10 tonight and do the overnight test with the pump on and the SWG off?

Thanks!

Thanks duraleigh.....just make sure you send out the refills I ordered yesterday. Between clearing up a swamp when we opened back in April and now this, Im blowing through the chlorine test materials :)

This is the third day I've kept my pool at shock level and it is still losing chlorine. Water looks fantastic but have lost from 12 down to 8 in about 4 hours. Did not pass the OCLT Wednesday night or last night. Do I have to stay at this until I pass the OCLT? I mean keeping at shock level until I can check overnight? The manager at Sam's Club just offered to deliver my next purchase of bleach!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.