Exactly why I searched and found this website years ago.

bmann71

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Washington, Indiana
This guy reminds me of the reason I found this website. My local pool gal seemed like a knowledgeable enough person to trust but when I asked the question “why can’t I hold chlorine?” she gave me the reason. “Some years pools just act differently and this year I’m seeing a large number like yours, you just have to add more chlorine and make sure your tablet feeder stays full”. :shock:

Is he ignorant in the link between CYA and chlorine or smart enough not to let people know?? :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8De1RaQAKc

Wow what a mix of dated, and questionable information with a few truths sprinkled in the mix.

Typical pool store method, any problem is solved by a one time dose of something, if that does not work, do a bigger one time dose, and if that does not work, keep dumping in stuff until it gets better.

Shock every 1 to 2 weeks huh?
I haven't shocked a single time since discovering TFP, and my CC's have never been above 0.5 PPM. Never been cloudy. Never had algae.
Too bad, because up until that point, he explanation of chlorine / chloramines was relatively accurate.

Did you know if you have a "chlorine breakpoint" situation you need to raise the the Free Chlorine level to 10X the current chlorine level. So, if you are at 3 PPM you need to go to 30PPM.

Also, you "Cannot OVER SHOCK" your pool.

Monopersulfate shock sounds very expensive.

Interesting mix of good and bad.

wow ..... :shock:

chlorine demand test

gassing off

and no mention of cya level

and he earns a living doing this :roll: ... i have given some serious thought to starting a pool maintenance business :mrgreen:

at the end he gets into the fact that he is a pristine blue guy .....

i have all of 3 years experience with a pool and i can tell you for an absolute fact that the screws in my bottom drain are phillips head :goodjob:

nuff said?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Charlie_R said:
Really. What would you expect from a pool chemical salesman? The truth? Hardly!

My original point was that this is the level of information everyone pretty much gets from all their local pool guy. For the life of me I don't understand how people maintain their pool w/o knowing the information we all know here. :scratch:

Dumb luck I guess...

I'm a new pool owner who had a green pool at the end of April
I found this website and I have never looked back
I haven't shocked since then

The one and only time I went into a pool store was just to see if they had some calcium to raise my ch some
Felt like they were looking down their noses at me when i told them I do all my own testing

Now I'm trying to get my brother in law to come here and see the truth about pool care

SkyKid said:
I'm a new pool owner who had a green pool at the end of April
I found this website and I have never looked back
I haven't shocked since then

The one and only time I went into a pool store was just to see if they had some calcium to raise my ch some
Felt like they were looking down their noses at me when i told them I do all my own testing

Now I'm trying to get my brother in law to come here and see the truth about pool care
Invite him to the house. Water speaks louder than words.

bmann71 said:
For the life of me I don't understand how people maintain their pool w/o knowing the information we all know here. :scratch:

Dumb luck I guess...
Smaller pools, short swim seasons, water dilution from weekly backwashing sand filters and summer rain overflow can all prevent the CYA level from getting too high and if the pool is closed over the winter the CYA can drop further. Also, the water can be low in algae nutrients (phosphates and nitrates). Weekly shocking can partially make up for too low an FC/CYA during the week. Algaecides or phosphate removers are sometimes used. True luck would be not getting any algae spores into the pool at all, but is unlikely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.