Above Ground Pool Liner Wall Insulation

Apr 17, 2012
I have a brand new 22 X 52 intex above ground pool. I followed the suggestions on here and laid down pink panther insulation boards on the ground for a smooth surface. WORKS GREAT! Thank you.

My next issue is I live in Texas so the water is not really warm enough until July and August to swim. I believe my problem is heat is escaping through the walls. Is there an economical yet very effective approach to this. I want something that looks nice.

The deck in the picture will eventually go all the way around the pool.

I see people on here talking about a bubble insulator, but that sounds like a solar blanket to me.
HELP

Thanks.

Attachments

• deck with pool.jpg
    deck with pool.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 181
I've never heard of anyone wrapping an Intex pool with anything. If you want to warm the water, use a solar cover or look into the solar panels. We live in PA and my brother doesn't even have his solar cover on all the time because it warms the pool too much. I highly doubt PA gets warmer than Texas! :mrgreen:

My pool gets too hot without a solar cover or any insulation. I am near Sacramento, CA and it gets hot here during the day, 95-105, and it can cool into the 60 and 70s at night on breezy night or stay closer to the day time highs on still nights.

If i wanted to to extend my season, solar heating would be my choice.

FYI... water temps over 90F, in a pool.. not my favorite. I have used a fountain also to cool my pool. I run the fountain at night on the hot days. I have one of the floating Grecian ones (but it sinks occasionally).

The water is pretty darn chilly right now. It's 95 in Texas today and the water is too chilly to swim. Im not sure what type of solar blanket you guys are referring to, but the one that comes with the pool is not very good at all.

I've never noticed a difference with it.

I could have swore I have heard of people on here insulating the walls, maybe I dreamed it.

95F degree air heats up my 10K gallons pretty quick.

As for a solar blanket... blue bubbled sheet. It lasted a couple years and then disintegrated into blue dust. I recycled it and moved on. No cover...

They all seem to work as well as any other and all seem to last about as long in our sun.

Insulation is typically for steel walled pools and there's no value to it, it's a very thin foam with no insulation value at all, don't waste your money.

Your in texas and it's too cold to swim?? And daytime temps are 95???
I'm so far north from you and we've been in several times so far this year. Our daytime temps are struggling to break 70 degrees and the night time temps are still flirting with frost. The pool temperature so far has peeked at 76.

A solar blanket at night is your best best but you have to use it consistently and give the pool a chance to build up heat. You could also try a solar heating panel or 2.

The water is always the nicest in July. The temps outside are over 100 degrees though. To each his own with personal preference. Do the solar heaters work at all? Leslie's sells one for $150 but then has another one -one notch above that that looks pretty beefy.

I'll get a water temp and check back in.

I'm sure it makes no difference but I am running a salt water pump along with a sand filter pump on my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think some add insulation to the walls of a steel wall (like mine) to make the walls softer. Not for heat retention.

Not sure how much of a difference a quarter or half inch of insulation going to make relative is to the mass of the water and it's surface area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.