Sand Filter Leak

Jun 11, 2013
Hello. First post for me. I'm currently in my second year of pool ownership. Water hasn't given me any trouble this season (I've learned a lot from these boards...thanks), but my equipment is giving me a slight problem.

I have a Hayward S210-T? sand filter. Pool opened fine this season. I went to do a vac to waste to start the season and ever since I've had an issue with some water coming from the area where the black top of my filter meets the body of the filter. After 3-4 days the situation seemed to rectify itself on its own, as the small amount of water around the base of the filter dried up and the slight water on the sides of the filter seemed to dissipate. A day or so passed and I shut the pump off to throw some 3" tabs in my chlorinator. Turned the pump back on, bled the chlorinator as usual. Come out the next day or so and the water coming from around the top of the filter is an issue again with water around the base of the filter again.

I have tightened the two bolts on the side of the filter head (one was really loose). I thought that might have been the issue and I was good to go. There is perhaps a more pronounced gurgling sound coming from the top of the filter than last season (I'm a newer pool owner and could be imagining that). I'm wondering if in the vac to waste process which this was my first vac situation with this pool (I didn't personally perform any vacuuming last season except with a pool blaster) I may have created the problem somehow.

Very old pool.
Concrete bottom
Fiberglass sides
20 x 40
29,000 gallons or so
Pool has a lilly pad skimmer that makes a short run into the deep end from the pool shed, instead of your traditional side wall skimmer. Local pool company created it for the original owner when her similar original system quit. Pool also has one traditional return and main drain.

What I did to vac the pool (which I started this season) is shut pump off, take the basket off the lilly pad skimmer. Attach a threaded cuff I bought from Leslie's to the existing pipe (without the skimmer basket). Shut off the valve to the main drain. Attach my vac hose to the threaded cuff. Attach vac. Turn filter to vac to waste. Turn pump back on and vacuum. Worked great.

Is the problem the gasket I've read about on the inside of the of the filter head? Is that an easy project I could handle? Or did I possibly introduce air or some other problem into the system with my first vac situation? Just seems strange that this issue has become a reoccurring problem after the first vacuuming.

Look forward to your ideas. Thanks.

I assume you have a multiport valve and it's leaking around the collar? If that's the case, then the vacuuming didn't have anything to do with it leaking. A picture of where it's leaking would help. You most likely need to remove the collar and clean and lube or even replace the gasket. Once they start leaking, tightening the colllar bolts usually won't work.

Bama Rambler said:
I assume you have a multiport valve and it's leaking around the collar? If that's the case, then the vacuuming didn't have anything to do with it leaking. A picture of where it's leaking would help. You most likely need to remove the collar and clean and lube or even replace the gasket. Once they start leaking, tightening the colllar bolts usually won't work.

Yes. Multiport valve. Leaking doesn't seem to be in a certain spot, definitely around the collar and off to the sides where the pipes come in to the filter if I had to approximate. I'll try and take a pic and post here. A slight water drop (drip every 10-15 minutes perhaps) also coming from the pipe going into the "pump" connection at the filter. I applied some plumbers tape. Didn't seem to stop the drip but seems very subtle. Thought I should mention if that is something separate I need to address. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.