Pump on / off Question

Jun 10, 2013
My timer sets my pump to run at high speed from 1300 to 1900, and then turns it to low speed the remainder of the time. Is it necessary and/or detrimental to run the pump 24hrs a day?

I am new to this system and pool ownership, and have been told the pump we have is a very low energy pump. It is a Hayward Northstar, 2HP pump. I dont mind running it 24hrs a day if it is beneficial, but I dont want to waste money if it isn't necessary.

Looking for opinions on whether or not I should be manually turning it completely off at some point. Thanks!

High speed might be needed for a suction cleaner, or if the skimming is not good enough on low.

If you only have 1 mechanical timer it may just be able to select speed and not power on/off. If you get the model, we may be able to figure out if you could change the wiring for the timer to just control on/off and you could maybe add a manual switch to select speed. Just leave it on low and only flip it on high when you are backwashing or vacuuming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.