Please help the husband with OCD.

Jun 4, 2012
NW CT
I have a few questions since I'm new to this. The deal was I build it and you maintain it. Well she has been working more than me lately so I have started to get more involved maintaining it to help out. But it is driving me nuts! We had the algae problem a few weeks back and it took a few weeks to clear up.........almost IMHO. The deep end just won't quite clear up all the way to me.

On Sunday I said to my wife I think it looks a tad cloudy on the edges by the coping. No it's the shadows she said. Monday I get up and same thing. She said the chemicals are perfect it's your head idk. So Monday afternoon I got in it with googles and there was some gunk floating on bottom with what looked like snot here and there along with it and also some spots of green on the coping on the liner. Not much just a little bit. This is what it looked like over a month ago before we had the big mess and I said something to her about it. Sooooooo I got the Vac out and vaced up all the Crud on the bottom and then I brushed and brushed and brushed and then put de in the filter when I got out. Took me 2 hours. I told her about it and she said she would check it when she got home. She didn't get home from work till 10 pm and She said this morning that she checked it this morning around 6 am and it was 10.5 FC. Ok. So at 10 after reading all the stuff on here about testing and watching the videos I tested it for the very first time ever. It was 4 FC :( so I added enough to bring it up to 7, I think, because that is where she wants it kept. So I got in it and looked with googles. It all looked good. I started to brush and now could see some greenish cloud coming off the brush. So I scrubbed and scrubbed again. Got out and checked the FC. It was 7. Yay me. Right where I wanted it to go.

So with all that background my questions are:

1 I assume I have caught the beginning of another algae problem. What should I do? The wife has told me that this morning at 10.5 FC that was the lowest FC she has read in a month since we had the big issue. She said it has been staying and she has been keeping it in the mid teens. The pump has been running 24/7 this whole time! Almost a month! Why would we have another issue!

2 She said she is concerned about bleaching the liner since it has been so high for so long. Is this a concern?

3. The pool is on the north side of the house. We live in northwest CT. In the 4 years we have lived here we have had an issue with mold/algae on the siding(see pic). I press wash and scrub it every year and it always comes back. Could this be causing/helping the pool issue?

4. Should we be holding the FC higher than 7?

Give a frustrated husband (with OCD so a cloudy pool is unacceptable!) some ideas please!

We honestly need more information for an informed decision. If you can post full results FC, CC, CH, pH, CYA level it would be extremely helpful. A good guess is that you have had algae/bio issues you've never overcome...at least this season. So, you need to complete a thorough shock process. Read up in pool school, and let us know what kind of test kit you have. If you don't own one that does the above, you really need one. We suggest two here..the Taylor K 2006 or the TF 100. TF 100 has the same reagents, but you get more of them for less money. Welcome to the forum!

Here are the readings I just took at 1:30.

FC 11.5
Cc 0
Ta 100
Ch 20
Cya 50
Ph 7.8

I have added 2 121 oz bottles of 8.25% bleach one at 1030 and the other at 12 to get it up to about 10 from 4 and it looks like that's about what it did.

Also fyi we have gotten just over 6 inches of rain in last 5 days. All of these numbers are from this morning and we have not had any more rain since I started testing this morning.

Im a little surprised there is no CC at all based on what you are seeing. No pink at all when you put in the 5 drops of R-0003 eh? Not assuming you made a mistake, just curious. As Dave said, run another FC a bit after sundown and again before dawn and see if you lose anything.

That is some awfully soft water you have there!

Brushpup said:
Im a little surprised there is no CC at all based on what you are seeing. No pink at all when you put in the 5 drops of R-0003 eh? Not assuming you made a mistake, just curious. As Dave said, run another FC a bit after sundown and again before dawn and see if you lose anything.

That is some awfully soft water you have there!

No pink whatsoever after the 5 drops. Could it just be that I have a sand filter and it doesn't filter very well. Idk grasping at straws now. I will do an oclt as soon as I get a night it doesn't rain 2 inches over night!

OK, lets see what the OCLT does and go from there. I may be wrong, but it does look a little hazy in the pic. Couple that with what you said about green stuff in the brush and maybe something slimy makes me think algae/bio. Is there possibly dust/dirt getting in...or washed in with the rain somehow? Like off a roof or from trees? Kids tracking in dirt? Some other source? Just wondering about things that would cloud the water. It sure isn't your CH level doing it.

Oh, if it does start a 2" rain, just halt it, and send out here to me. :)

Alright idk! Maybe my wife is right and its just me!

At 8:15 last night it tested at 9.5 FC. I back washed a bunch of green water from the filter and added de again. Just this morning at 6:45 am with no rain overnight it tested at 9 FC and skimmer basket was full of flower petals from the near by tulip poplar tree and press on the filter was down to 11-12 psi. I cleaned the skimmer basket and the filter press rose to 16 psi. Clean it's normally 12-13 psi.

Water has not changed look at all, but behind the stairs is something that appears to be green gunk. It was not there yesterday after I brushed I am certain of that. I will have to look at it closer when I get in with goggles and brush in a little while. I have been testing the water from the same spot the whole time which is the opposite end of the pool from the skimmer and return and right beside the stairs. That's why I noticed the gunk behind the stairs first thing. IDK :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
I have scanned this thread briefly and cannot find where you have reported your CYA. Do you have valid, current test results?

jasonlk1 said:

FC 11.5
Cc 0
Ta 100
Ch 20
Cya 50
Ph 7.8

I have added 2 121 oz bottles of 8.25% bleach one at 1030 and the other at 12 to get it up to about 10 from 4 and it looks like that's about what it did.

Also fyi we have gotten just over 6 inches of rain in last 5 days. All of these numbers are from this morning and we have not had any more rain since I started testing this morning.

I'm sure you've read about performing the CYA test outside, with the sun to your back, holding the tube at waist level, correct?

harleysilo said:
duraleigh said:
I have scanned this thread briefly and cannot find where you have reported your CYA. Do you have valid, current test results?

jasonlk1 said:

FC 11.5
Cc 0
Ta 100
Ch 20
Cya 50
Ph 7.8

I'm sure you've read about performing the CYA test outside, with the sun to your back, holding the tube at waist level, correct?

Yup. That's exactly how I did as I was watching the YouTube video on my iPad at the same time.

harleysilo said:
Okay so i re-read your other thread. Did you figure out what happened with the 2 gallons 3 cups addition resulting in a crazy increase in FC? Was that a testing error?

I have no idea what was going on with that. That was my wife doing that at that time. My guess is the test was messed up somehow. Everything seems to be working fine for me number and calculation wise in the last few days.

jasonlk1 said:
1 I assume I have caught the beginning of another algae problem. What should I do? The wife has told me that this morning at 10.5 FC that was the lowest FC she has read in a month since we had the big issue. She said it has been staying and she has been keeping it in the mid teens. The pump has been running 24/7 this whole time! Almost a month! Why would we have another issue!
Give a frustrated husband (with OCD so a cloudy pool is unacceptable!) some ideas please!

Okay so according to the chart shock level for your pool is 20 PPM. But if it' mustard algae shock level is 30! chlorine-cya-chart-t2346.html#p18157

Have you read pool-school/mustard_algae?

Yep, I'd like to see it too!!

I was just under the understanding that when there is algae - any type of algae or organic "load", there would be a larger FC drop overnight. Did I misunderstand something along the way - is is possible to have something growing but still pass the OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.