FC is disappearing overnight!

May 20, 2013
We switched from Baquacil to the BBB method this spring. We got our CC down to 0-0.5, were keeping our FC levels steady.

So since our FC was staying overnight and our CC were 0-0.5 we changed out our sand from what we had used last season with the Baquacil.

But since doing that on Saturday, our FC keeps evaporating overnight!

Here is what I got when testing this morning:

FC-1PPM
CC 0.5
TC=1.5
TA=150 (down from 250)
PH 6.8
CYA 50

We are using the TF-100 test kit. Am I just not adding enough chlorine since changing out the sand to keep it at the 15ppp? I'm using the pool calculator but perhaps we are not adding enough at one time.

We are using the 8.25%-121 oz chlorine when we add it. And when in the past I've added that at 3 containers a time, I'm getting up to the 15ppm. But then since the change in the sand, it's going away overnight.

I'm getting a bit frustrated and am wondering where I've gone wrong-perhaps just not enough chlorine at a time?

I also just want affirmation from someone out there that it's normal to be putting this much chlorine in on a daily basis. Once we do get our FC level up to what we need. Is it normal to continue to need to add chlorine daily? We do have full sun during the day which is why I was working to get our CYA up from zero to the 50 range.

Yes you need to add chlorine every 1-2 days so it does not drop too low.

It is normal to lose 2-3ppm of FC everyday .... so that would mean needing to add about 54oz of 8.25% bleach each day.

No one mentioned the pH. 6.8 is too low, you should aim for at least 7.2. Also, most pH tests only go down to 6.8, so it really could be lower. Are you actively lowering the TA, and using aeration to raise the pH? If not, you should get that pH up.

We are working on the TA as well. We've added muriatic acid twice and then aerated the heck out of the pool. The TA has come down quite a bit from a high of 280 to it's current level. Should I be working on getting it lower while I'm still trying to keep some FC in the pool and adding the chlorine? My PH reading tonight has gone back up to 7.2 as but I'm still at 1 PPM on the FC after adding 3 gallons of the 8.25% (121 oz bottles) today. My husband ran out to get more so that we can add more overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been keeping track of the CYA. We started the season with a O then after adding Stabilizer in a sock near the skimmer on 3 separate occassions it's got up to a 30 then 40 then 50. Will be checking everything again today as we got slammed with rain last night in the storms that went through the Midwest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.