Recommend against the chlorine tablets in the floatie?

Re: BBB for Beginners

tmnt25 said:
So from the reading I've done, is it accurately to conclude that the folks here highly recommend against the chlorine tablets in the floatie?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: We don't really care how you chlorinate your pool, provided the source you're using has no unwanted side effects. Pucks have their place. They're great for vacations. But they add stabilizer, lower pH, and lower TA while adding chlorine. Why buy pucks if you have to keep adding pH up and Alkalinity increaser? And as the CYA in the pucks builds up, the effectiveness of the chlorine gets reduced to the point of uselessness. And then comes the algae bloom the pool store can't cure no matter how deep they dig in your wallet. Here's just one such testimony: hi-new-member-why-didnt-anyone-tell-me-this-t62103.html

tmnt25 said:
I like to take my cya up from 20 to 30...could I do this with pucks? Do we know the numerical effect pucks have on cya?
Yes. If you plug your pool size in at the top, then scroll waaaay down to Effects of Adding Chemicals, you can see what each 8 oz puck will do to your pool chemistry.
http://www.poolcalculator.com/

tmnt25 said:
I like to take my cya up from 20 to 30...could I do this with pucks? Do we know the numerical effect pucks have on cya?
you can buy conditioner/stabalizer and add a a little bit in a sock, then hang said sock in front of a return jet. Did this myself when I drained a month or so ago

thanks, i didnt know that tool was down there in the pool calculator. Rather than buying stabilizer, i figure i might as well use the pucks i already have.

are there pucks that DONT add cya? My reason for asking is that my pool guy has been putting in pucks(different from the ones i have) over the last year and my CYA is only at 20...

jblizzle said:
Most pucks are trichlor that add CYA. There are some that are cal-hypo which add calcium, but they dissolve too fast and are not very common.

hmm that's strange...i think i might be doing the CYA test wrong....I see that black dot until the whole container is full!

With over a year of pucks, it doesnt make sense that the CYA is so low.

You get a lot of rain right? Have to drain the pool often? Could be diluting the CYA.

What do the rest of your tests look like? Sometimes the CYA is broken down by bacteria over the winter (not that you really have a winter).

And how are you testing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
You get a lot of rain right? Have to drain the pool often? Could be diluting the CYA.

What do the rest of your tests look like? Sometimes the CYA is broken down by bacteria over the winter (not that you really have a winter).

And how are you testing?

I do get a decent amount of rain...maybe have to drain 2-3 inches once a month for 3 months during rainy season....

The rest of my tests look pretty consistent since i took over the pool duties 2 weeks ago. FC hasnt been dropping drastically, even after 3 people took a swim on a really hot day.

I'm testing with the TF100....indoors by an LED bright white light. pinch a penny tells me my cya levels are closer to 40-60....i get 20.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.