Ready to Sign the Contract

Jul 8, 2011
Hi everyone. We have been looking at IG pools for the past three years (concrete, fiberglass, and vinyl) and are finally ready to sign a contract. We are considering the following:

20x48 double roman (Cardinal) Garrett vinyl liner (20 mil) IG pool (9' deep with extended hopper)
Vinyl lined steps within the roman radius
Hayward cartridge filter / 2HP Hayward pump
Polaris booster pump with auto vacuum (not sure which model yet)
Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 lights (2 lights on long sides)
Garrett Solid Safety cover (brass anchors)
Stamped or dyed concrete (6 feet on long sides, 7 feet at diving end, 9 feet at shallow end)
8 foot jump board
net-rope-ladder-hand rail for steps-bug/leaf net-thermometer-test kit-solar blanket-brush
1.5" schedule 40 and solar flex
5 returns and one skimmer
Salt Water Generator
Heater

I am concerned about the saltwater generator and 2 hp pump. The pump seems like overkill and will cost a bunch to run it. As for the saltwater, will my equipment, concrete and pool liner suffer over the years?

Any comments would be helpful.

toofast said:
I am not a pro but a few things stick out:

1) 1.5" PVC - is that big enough ? would 2" be better ?
2) are they 2 speed pumps?

I was thinking 2" would be better, but the PB says 1.5". Pros and cons?

Not sure on the pump. I'm thinking just one speed...that's why I am worried about the electric cost. My PB said to run the pump 24 hours per day.

I will know more once I receive the official contract. Thanks!

Yeah, so once again, I am not the pro vs. some of the folks BUT:

1) running 24 hrs a day on a single speed 2HP pump WRONG !

As for 2" vs. 1.5" I think it all has to do with flow rates, 1.5" will be more restrictive vs. 2" and it will be a bit more difficult to push water through...others will have much better ideas, also searching might give you getter answers.

But honestly, I am already leery of your PB - sorry.

Do you have a floor drain or just the skimmer? If you only have a single suction line you would be much better off making it 2". The pressure side is less important, but there would be benefits of going with 2"and then getting a MUCH smaller pump.

You need 1hp at the most, and a 2 speed would be even better.

jblizzle said:
Do you have a floor drain or just the skimmer? If you only have a single suction line you would be much better off making it 2". The pressure side is less important, but there would be benefits of going with 2"and then getting a MUCH smaller pump.

You need 1hp at the most, and a 2 speed would be even better.

Thank you Jason. One skimmer and two main floor drains separated in the deep end. My PB really hasn't said no to any request (and is not pushy), I'm just questioning things before signing. The PB has been installing pools since 1981 and has provided unlimited references. I have also met him at the site of two pools under construction to review his work.

Honestly, I am just finishing a much smaller pool with similar options and my total is nearly $50K. I think I received a very fair deal...so is your high, maybe - but not crazy out of control high, at least in my opinion.

Is there a patio at all, is that 1,044 concrete for the patio and the 875 for the pool ?

toofast said:
Honestly, I am just finishing a much smaller pool with similar options and my total is nearly $50K. I think I received a very fair deal...so is your high, maybe - but not crazy out of control high, at least in my opinion.

Is there a patio at all, is that 1,044 concrete for the patio and the 875 for the pool ?

From our experience it appears that fiberglass pools are more expensive initially...Thank you for your feedback. Sorry. Yes the patio is 1,044 sq. ft. We were hoping to get the optional items (i.e., $12,750) and pool for $50K. Did you attempt to counteroffer the PB? I'm guessing our PB built some extra into the quote, but this is my first pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There was a little wiggle room, but honestly not as much as I expected...if you get all that for $50K WOW - that is a smoking great deal. But remember, all pricing is so regional, based on competition, etc.

If you get this for $50K you got a WAY WAY WAY bigger pool than I did for same price. Yes, I guess FG is a bit more, but honestly when I was in design mode, there was not that much of a difference.

I am sure others will chime in....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.