Hayward pump repair, Humming after winter opening

Jul 1, 2011
After opening my pool from its long winter sleep, I found that my Hayward Super Pump now hums when I switch the pump on. My wife also informed me that the lights in the house were dimming every time I flipped the pump on. The humming goes on for about 20 seconds then clicks off.

I'm hoping one of you can help on where to start (capacitor, starting relay, impeller cleaning, seal replacement, bearings, etc)? I've looked at a few videos online which demonstrate how to take the pump apart, etc. However, I'm still left not know if this is a job I want to take on or if I should call in a pro. I do not have a lot of time to pull the pump apart until the weekend, and I'm hoping I can fix this quickly so I can get my pool up and running.

I did stick my fingers into the pump from the skimmer basket and tried to turn the impeller, as mentioned in other posts. I didnt seem to be able to turn it, however I didn't really know if I was doing this correctly either. I'm really hoping this does not mean that the bearings are bad, or that the pump is dead.

Also, This morning I realized that I forgot to remove one of the drain plugs over the winter. I had removed the plug on the front of the filter, however I didn't remove a plug on the side as was shown in a video online. Could having not done this caused this problem?

[attachment=1:2b9odsx4]Pump1.jpg[/attachment:2b9odsx4]

[attachment=0:2b9odsx4]pump2.jpg[/attachment:2b9odsx4]

Attachments

• Pump1.jpg
    Pump1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 49
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 48
Sounds like the start capacitor, but you need to check if you can turn the motor, and it needs to turn smoothly. Secure power going to the motor, take off the back cover, and try to turn the shaft.
Check on you tube for videos to replace the capacitor.

I will take it apart tonight to check if the motor can turn, and to test the capacitor with a multimeter. Does anyone know, or can recommend exactly which capacitor is needed for my motor? I'd like to order one asap, just in case this is the problem. Can they be purchased at the big box home improvement stores, or even at a pool store?

Also - what is the difference between a run capacitor and a start capacitor?

Not sure if you have the manual: http://www.poolcenter.com/hayward-super-pump-OM.pdf

What size is the motor (HP), Service Factor (SF), and voltage?

Any pool store should have the cap. They're pretty standard not sure of the size you need. They're cheaper online but can be found at the local store. The rating should be on the capacitor. They can be found on line for about $4 plus shipping.
Cap replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqkzkoBGZfI

another set of instructions: http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... citor.aspx

Before taking anything apart I decided to use the "hit the motor with a hammer" trick while it was humming. Sure enough it kicked on. I'm now leaving it running 24/7 to go through my shock process.

Does the fact that this worked mean its definitely the started cap? Or does this open other potential conclusions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.