Breaker on filter/pump pops

tbenton

Jun 3, 2010
posting.php?mode=post&f=5#

Have had our pool since 1987 so not a novice but this is a new issue and I am now paranoid. Besides the main ckt breaker in the house there are three breakers in a box at our Anthony pool filter/pump. We also have a Polaris cleaner with booster motor and have intermatic timers on each. This morning the filter was not on when I went out to do morning water/skimmer maintenance and the Polaris had just come on and you never want it on when the filter motor is not on so I turned it off immediately. It was 6:15 AM and the filter timer clock said 4PM so that means that the breaker popped an hour after the filter timer turned OFF yesterday. After trying to start it manually with the timer switch my brain clicked and I opened the breaker box out there and the middle breaker was popped. Based on "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy we have never paid much attention to those three breakers and all we ever do is turn them off in the fall and back on in the spring so we have never really known what they 'control' but now I know the middle one controls the filter. There is no documentation about those breakers and I have never thrown anything away that has to do with the pool. I reset the breaker and turned the filter on with no problem.

So. now that I out there every ten minutes listening for the filter and wondering what could have happened.The Polaris timer turns off at 9:30AM so until then I am so paranoid. I took the 'start' dog off the Polaris for now and will start it manually for God knows how long unless I find out what happened. The filter motor is not too warm to the touch. We have had hard rain off and on for two days here is N. Virginia and had a little thunder/lightening yesterday afternoon but it was not that close by and using logic (God forbid) is it possible that ONLY that one breaker might have been sensitive and affected by the storm? Nothing hit here obviously and we have never had any pool breaker pop before.

I sure would appreciate any ideas or things to check. Both motors are 1.5HP and have not been recently replaced nor has any other work been done on the pool equipment.

Thanks in advance
TerriB

[attachment=0:1ibtxmrm]breaker box.jpg[/attachment:1ibtxmrm]
JohnT said:
Is the breaker that is tripping a GFCI breaker? It will have a little extra button that is probably yellow on it if it is.

I have to say I don't know if we have GFCI since it is old equipment but why else would there be those breakers in addition to the one in the house? There is no yellow on it except the 'push to test' button and when the middle one tripped there was red. I have attached picture. I sure wish there was documentation on it. You can see the word 'protection' on that label...?

BTW..its a 30K gal inground gunite pool built in 1987.

Attachments

• breaker box.jpg
    breaker box.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 21
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.