Cheap Bleach And Algie

Hello,

I read through the search results for bleach and was wondering if anyone in Houston, TX knows where to find cheap bleach. The cheapest I found with 5.25% on the label is 3 jugs of 182oz Chlorox at Sam's Club for $6.78, but I've also bought daybright bleach from Dollar King for $1.09 /96oz and Fiesta Mart bleach for $1.29/128oz. Unfortunately, the last two don't have a percentage on the label and I'm assuming 5.25% since both labels recommend 3/4 cup per load of laundry but I have no way to verify it. Is the recommend amount per load of laundry a safe standard to judge the concentration by? Also, I filled up my liquidator since I went on a trip for two days and upon return found a green pool Saturday night. I have to stop by after work to pick up some bleach so hopefully someone can offer a suggestion before then on the best wallet friendly place to buy some. Also, if you have any suggestions on how to properly maintain the pool feel free to offer them. I've read everything and kept all the numbers within bounds but green pool seems to be a once a month thing. My pool can't hold chlorine even though my CYA seems fine although the ph seems to raise every week.

Walmart Great Value bleach is 6%, and is a pretty good deal. Aldi has 6% for 0.99, but they are hard to find. In your area, I'd bet you can find 12% at pool stores in bulk for a much better price.

I would think so too; unfortunately, I'm in the Heights area and none of the surrounding pool stores sell liquid bleach. Also, I haven't found an Aldi's anywhere and the walmart ultra is $1.29 for 96oz. I just thought after reading about people finding it around ~$1 / gal that I'm missing out on some sort of secret shop. What's a better deal anyways? Walmart 6% at $1.72/gal or Sam's Club 5.25% @ $1.53 / gal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-30 at 10.18.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-30 at 10.18.21 AM.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 21
well, are you sure its 5.25% chlorox at sam's? I thought it was the 6% (5.75% available chlorine). $1.53/gal isn't so bad, if its 6%, at 5.25%, its equivalent to $1.75/gal 6%.

and no, the pool stores here in houston are pathetic, they charge $4/gal for the 12.5%, they really push the trichlor/dichlor stuff, plus tons of algaecide. leslie's pool supply is so bad, they charge $5.50/gal acid...

I also live in Houston and you won't find an Aldi's here nor an Albertsons. Your best bet is probably Walmart. They have there brand 176oz 6% for $2.36. There 96oz cost more unfortunately. Randalls is currently selling Clorox 96oz for $0.99 near me but I'm not sure how long the sale. Sam's club has the best name brand I've seen with clorox 182 oz, 3 for like $6.30 but you have to buy a membership so that's another $40.

I've called and shopped around to Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc . and none are as good. Ace use to carry 5 gallon drums that were very cheap ($10) but the one's near me no longer carry them. Most Leslies don't carry and Warehouse pools are more expensive. Chemgeek mentioned in another thread a company here that may be a good source. I called them and a tech was supposed to call me back but so far they haven't. They are in Pasadena. Maybe we can get a group rate.

DPC Industries Inc. P.O. Box 24600, Houston, TX 77229
Telephone: 281 457-4888

pasadena is pretty far from me, I would be losing more money by driving out there than just grabbing from my local wal-mart. thanks for the heads up on randalls, i'll stop by there in a bit, but if you saw this sale this past weekend, it means they no longer have it going on (grocery stores run sales wed-tues as opposed to wal-mart/target which go sun-sat). I will still check it out.

I advise anyone who uses bleach to go stock up on it. The shelf life of 6% in 90-95* temps is at least 1-2 months easy, chemgeek gave me a link at some point that shows the half life of liquid chlorine, as the concentration goes up, the life span goes down, same with temperature, and its all exponential.

But get yourself 30-60 gallons and it can last you till august if not september, at $1.33/gal its not a bad price.

and I don't remember if it was mentioned, but you really don't need algaecide except for closing the pool, and then only get the polyquat. some people like to add it on a weekly/monthly basis to help control the algae, but its really targeted at the puck people who need help controlling the algae since their cya goes up and the chlorine loses its effectiveness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's really not the pool stores that cause the problem in Houston. It's the investment that it takes to package and legally transport the product. The payback in relation to the amount you can sell to residential pool owners is very minimal. You have to meet DOT and EPA requirements at a minimum, and if in the City Limits of Houston the HazMat permits required for storage can be very expensive to comply with.

About all the pool stores here can do is offer the gallon jugs of "Liquid Shock" that come pre-packaged from the plant at 10.5% It's not as cheap to buy it that way as it is in other areas where the pool stores put a bulk tank out back and refill jugs or where someone has made the investment to repackage in 2.5 or 5 gallon jugs legally.

The funny thing is there is more bleach produced in Houston, TX than anywhere else in the country. Good luck trying to buy it in small non-bulk quantities though.

FYI, the product at Wal-Mart and Sam's is a very high quality bleach...very low metal content...better than what would come from DPC although it is lower concentration. The "Liquid Shock" in the pool stores is also very high quality, but overpriced.

Stock up now as much as you can, bleach prices increases are coming.

^^^ ouch, everthing seems to be going up lately. A gallon of milk at Randalls was $5 bucks. Amazing, thats more than a gallon of gas. Probably cheaper to buy a cow at those rates. I just installed a SWG which might turn out to be a savings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.