cloudy milky water after ascorbic acid...HELP

johnd

Jun 11, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm new to this group and was hoping an expert can help me. I have a 20,000 vinyl liner pool, no heater, and use cl to sanitize. It looked great after opening except stains on bottom. I used ascorbic acid and metal free as directed and now have a cloudy milky pool. THIS IS THE SECOND time I DID this!! Can you believe it. Last year same thing. My water was as directed this year with Cl .5, PH 7.5, 140. Added Ascorbic acid sunday night, stain came off right away, added metal free as directed. By monday night the pool was milky cloudy with a white material building up on the pool D.E. filter (I backwashed). My local pool store KNOW NOTHING. What is going on and how do i fix it? Last year the local people had me throw tons on stuff into it and it cleared in about 2 weeks. There has got to be a better way. And lastly what did i do wrong......help and thanks

If you used Natural Chemistry Metal Free then it's just Citric acid and isn't one of the recommended ones.

Go ahead and post a full set of test results and how you got them. There may be something else contributing to the clouding.

It is completely normal for the pool to cloud up after an AA treatment. If everything is going correctly it should clear up in one to three days. To help that along you should run the filter 24/7 till things improve.

Metal Free is not a sequestrant we recommend using. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Thanks guys. I did use the natural chemistry metal free. I didn't know there was a difference. I will be getting full chem readings at noon today and will post. What is the white stuff in the water. I can see it coming into the skimmer and it's sticking to the de filter. Should I do any kind of clarifier to help clean this uP? If this is common with AA they should post that on the container.

When there is dissolved metal in the water and you add sequestrant, the sequestrant will bind to the metals. Sometimes the sequestrant bound to metals will then clump up, forming visible particles that cause cloudiness and can be filtered out. Clarifier won't really make any real difference in this situation. Clarifier helps very fine particles clump up so they can be filtered out. But your particles are already clumping, so they probably don't really need any help in that area. There might also be some particles that are too small to be filtered, but they will either clump up further on their own, or break down and go back into solution and become invisible.

Okay my readings today are as follows
FC- 0
Cal Hardness - 160
Cyanuric Acid - 50
TA - 120
PH 7
Copper - 0
iron 0
tds - 1000

of course the pool store new nothing and recommended shocking it and get rid of the cloudy water and adding floc or first Aid. Will anything help speed up this clean up process. last year this took 2 weeks. Thanks

Today is day 3 of my pool mess and things are getting worse. today you can't see the third step at all and filter does not seem to picking up anything. Backwashed last night buut barely anything on the filter. i did add a little cl and today my reading is 1. what now???? Floc?

Also why is metal free not right? I looked at the continianer of the stain remover and it say Leslie's Super Metal X 2 (not metal free),, but they don't sell that. Should i get what you sugguested earlier or is it to late now?

only without cl since sunday. The Stain remover says backwash before Cl and no super cl for 3 days. i backwashed but it still sooo cloudy, i was afraid to add too much cl

Should I put in a claifier now still it is not getting picked up by the filter? Thanks for your help by the way !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algae!!! Really?? What is extra dose of sequestrant? The metal free stuff or switch to the Pink Stuff or equivalent? Can I start shocking now even though the stain remover said wait 3 full days??

Reactions: Jtag68
Sequestrant is the stuff that you have to add to the pool to keep the metals in suspension after you've done the AA treatment. While we recommend the HEDP stuff, it's up to you to decide what you want to use.

If you didn't add algaecide when you first started lowering the FC to perform the AA treatment, it's almost a certainty that you're going to get algae. You can wait 3 days to start shocking, but that's 3 more days that the algae has time to grow.

Day 4.... Last night I added Jack's pink stuff and shocked with power plus and ran pump all night. This morning FC is 4 but still looks the same. I back washed again. Noticing white scum on top of pool the corners now. I checked my reading again and TA seems high, about 180. Could that be causing the cloudy water at this point? I'm so frustrated!

What's your CH? Power Powder Plus is Cal-hypo and adds CH to your pool. By the way, adding a product to your pool one time isn't shocking. Read how to shock your pool in Pool Schol and follow it until all the algae is gone, then perform the AA treatment again if you need to. If you do need to do the AA treatment again start by adding the recommended amount of algaecide before letting the FC get low.

My CH was 160 before I added the power plus which is why I used this to also bring up my CH levels. I have a vinyl pool so I'm not to concerned with the low levels but thought I would start the shock with this and today move to straight chlorine granules. Should I be worried about the TA at 180?

Just had numbers checked again and

FC- .29
TC 1.17
CC .88
PH 7.3
H 126
TA 160

I'm going to shock with the power plus again with 4 lbs (20,000 gal pool) will also help with the hardness. Should Good?? o start to look a little better!!!!!! Thanks You

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.