How do I vacuum an 18' Intex Ultra Frame?

Jul 15, 2012
I haven't installed the over the wall skimmer since I think it's a piece of Crud, so the only intake is the intake on the wall under water. I want to buy a manual vacuum today when I go get my water tested, but I have no idea what I need to buy. Will I simply take some hose and plug it into the intake on the wall of the pool and connect that to the vacuum? If so, does anyone know what size hose I'd need to fit into that intake? Thanks.

I imagine it is 1.5 inch. Im not up on these fittings, but there are lot of threads on the subject. The skimmer is junk IMO, but I am sure there are folks who like it. With the correct size, yes, you just plug the hose onto the fitting inside and attach to whatever vac device you get. Something simple will do and is all you need. Some Intex come with a little vac nozzle made for a water hose, but you can plug that hole on top with a water hose connector X 3/4" threaded and put a 3/4" threaded plug into it. Then stall your vac hose to the thing and away you go. I did and it works OK, but I just get in and use the hose end most of the time. Been doing that for years.

First post here and I can definitely help as I just did this yesterday.

I have a 16' ultra frame and did the following:
1) purchased a vacuum head at the pool store
2) purchased 1 1/4" hose
3) shut off filter
4) Unscrew the cover on the lower filter intake of the pool. Note: just the cover, not the actual attachment itself
5) the hose I purchased is able to be pushed directly into the filter hole
6) make sure the hose is completely filled with water
7) connect vacuum head to hose
8) start up filter and vacuum away.

Hope this helps.

Synergy2 said:
First post here and I can definitely help as I just did this yesterday.

I have a 16' ultra frame and did the following:
1) purchased a vacuum head at the pool store
2) purchased 1 1/4" hose
3) shut off filter
4) Unscrew the cover on the lower filter intake of the pool. Note: just the cover, not the actual attachment itself
5) the hose I purchased is able to be pushed directly into the filter hole
6) make sure the hose is completely filled with water
7) connect vacuum head to hose
8) start up filter and vacuum away.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'm assuming mine also has the 1 1/4" holes then.

I posted this elsewhere in another thread the other day, but I will post here too. I got a 1 1/4" vacuum hose from the pool store. On the end that swivels and attaches to the vacuum head I wrapped a few rounds of electrical tape around it in order to make for a snug fit in the Intex vacuum head (the one that came with the pool). I pushed that into the vacuum head where you normally tie on the mesh bag. The other end of the vacuum hose will fit into the hose that goes to the skimmer basket that hangs on the wall. I don't know if it will fit directly on the intake but you could try it. I put the hose in the pool, and then hold it over the return for a minute or two with the filter on in order to flush out any air, and then connect it under water. I also take a knee high panty hose and put a few inches into the hose before connecting it to the skimmer hose to make a "bag" of sorts to catch the debris. Otherwise it will all get caught on the screen of the intake and it's hard to clean off without it all falling back into the pool.

This method worked well for me with the smaller Intex pump that came with the pool. I've since upgraded to the sand filter and it works much better now with more suction. I just had to cut the grate off of the intake so that the leaf basket on the filter could catch the debris instead of clogging up the intake, so now I don't have to use the pantyhose and empty it constantly while vacuuming if there is a lot of dirt (which there usually always is...the fun of living in the woods!)

wozzukes said:
I posted this elsewhere in another thread the other day, but I will post here too. I got a 1 1/4" vacuum hose from the pool store. On the end that swivels and attaches to the vacuum head I wrapped a few rounds of electrical tape around it in order to make for a snug fit in the Intex vacuum head (the one that came with the pool). I pushed that into the vacuum head where you normally tie on the mesh bag. The other end of the vacuum hose will fit into the hose that goes to the skimmer basket that hangs on the wall. I don't know if it will fit directly on the intake but you could try it. I put the hose in the pool, and then hold it over the return for a minute or two with the filter on in order to flush out any air, and then connect it under water. I also take a knee high panty hose and put a few inches into the hose before connecting it to the skimmer hose to make a "bag" of sorts to catch the debris. Otherwise it will all get caught on the screen of the intake and it's hard to clean off without it all falling back into the pool.

This method worked well for me with the smaller Intex pump that came with the pool. I've since upgraded to the sand filter and it works much better now with more suction. I just had to cut the grate off of the intake so that the leaf basket on the filter could catch the debris instead of clogging up the intake, so now I don't have to use the pantyhose and empty it constantly while vacuuming if there is a lot of dirt (which there usually always is...the fun of living in the woods!)

So the grate on the return doesn't unscrew? That's a joke.

I should also note that the vacuum head and hose are not Intex brand. I am not sure who makes them but they are definitely not intex.

Agree with you on the upgraded filter as well, that was one of the best things I did. I didn't even open up the filter that came with the pool.

Synergy2 said:
I should also note that the vacuum head and hose are not Intex brand. I am not sure who makes them but they are definitely not intex.

Agree with you on the upgraded filter as well, that was one of the best things I did. I didn't even open up the filter that came with the pool.

Yeah I sold the stock filter on ebay for $60 :)

The Intex maintenance kit I got came with a blue adapter that screws onto the intake fitting. There should be threads there for this. Even my last 18' Easy Set pool had the threads. Once screwed on, the adapter has a slip on connection for the vacuum hose. Easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Livinright said:
The Intex maintenance kit I got came with a blue adapter that screws onto the intake fitting. There should be threads there for this. Even my last 18' Easy Set pool had the threads. Once screwed on, the adapter has a slip on connection for the vacuum hose. Easy.

Mine too. :goodjob:

I have that exact same question. We have 2 intakes also . We have been told to hook the hose up to the skimmer basket that is attached to the sand pump but it doesn't work . Beginning to think our pump isn't big enough but it's not a option to upgrade right now .

I just got the intex auto pool cleaner for our pool. Not a robot, but an 'automatic' pool cleaner. $50 on Amazon. Time will tell how well it works. I like that is is a discharge side cleaner, meaning it won't burden my existing sand filter with more material. A suction side cleaner would. There are a few youtube reviews of it. I saw this one (posted by a member here I believe) which helped me with my decision: Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner Review Part 1 - YouTube I too was researching robots of various makes up to $600 but eventually decided I'd give this a try first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.