Considering BBB method. Cloudy water, high CYA, higher CH.

wookie

Jun 10, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum, new to the BB method, and relatively new to pool operation in general.

This will be my third summer owning a pool. The first summer I had a pool guy. I took over that winter and have been maintaining ever since. Since that time I have regularly used 68% cal hypo granulated shock, and 3" trichlor pucks in a floater. Occasionally I would add in some Pool Perfect + Phos Free from Leslies. (Last summer I had a major yellow algae bloom)

This year has been fine until this week when we hit 110 degrees outside and my pool turned cloudy over night. I gathered up whatever household bleach I had on hand and dumped it in. Just used up my last bag of shock last week, so I figured this would be a good time to at least give the BBB a try.

Here are my test results:

FC - 0.5
TC -
PH - 7.3
TA - 140
CH - +1000 *
CYA - 170 **

I have two different test kits that I was using. One of them tests for CYA, but does not differentiate between FC and TC. the other kit does FC and TC, but does not test for CYA. I am actually looking at getting one of the kits recommended here.

My CH sounds like it's way high. I stopped adding drops after I got to 1000...felt like I was wasting chemicals at that point. Just checked the most recent water report for Las Vegas and the water is very hard...it comes out of the tap at 285ppm. Do you think this reading is accurate?

Initial CYA reading was somewhere over 100. After reading around, I came across a post that describing a CYA test with a 50/50 dilution with tap water. I did that twice, and both times I came up with about 85ppm....so double that to give me 170ppm.

Next door neighbor says that he can't remember the last time he saw the pool water changed....it's about 12 years old.

I really do not want to empty my pool in the middle of summer. We had already been planning on draining it this winter and acid washing it and starting over with new water, so I am hoping that I can ride it out through this summer.

I went to the pool calculator and added the recommended 184oz of 10% chlorine, as well as 32oz by weight of washing soda to raise PH. This was at about 1am this morning. Still looks kind of cloudy, but I was going to take another reading this evening and add more chems according to what the pool calculator says.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated!

Re: Considering BBB method. Cloudy water, high CYA, higher

I would believe those readings.

It's a PITA to maintain the pool with CYA that high. I've done it but I don't recommend it. High CH is something you'll just have to live with in Las Vegas.

You'll want to keep pH down between 7.2 and 7.5 to minimize scaling. With that CH, I think it's impossible to avoid some.

You could try the tarp method foreclosure-swamp-in-pensacola-florida-t54326-40.html#p449932 to swap water without letting the pool go dry. Or drop a hose in the deep end and set a pump on the top step and hope the temperature stratification (filtrer off) keeps them apart.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Ditto what Richard said.

Since it is the beginning of the summer I would try and drain. It looks like you need to lose almost 75% of your water to get that CYA under control. Your geographic location is going to make algae avoidance (high temps/lots of sun) even more difficult. Also, leave your pH right where it's at. A partial drain and refill may help with your CH too.

Out of curiosity what is your CH out of the tap?

It looks like about 300ppm out of my kitchen faucet.
Looked outside and water seems to be much clearer today.
I guess that I'll be replacing some water.
Before I go out and buy a HUGE tarp, I want to give that method a try first with the hose in the deep end and the pump on the top step. It may take me a day or two to get set up.

You really need to get the CYA down. Good luck with the hose and pump. While you're out, buy some bleach! :mrgreen:

Well, thanks for your help guys.
I ended up toughing it out all summer long with the pool.
I drained the pool yesterday and gave it a good chlorine wash and an acid wash. Looks great!
The pool is filling up now, and according to my math it should take about 46 hours fill.
I was figuring on taking a water sample once the pool is about half full or so and get an idea of what I'm going need to add to get the water in thew proper ranges.

Just plan on using CYA and Liquid chlorine (bleach) immediately... avoid those tabs and the Cal Hypo shock as those most assuredly got you into the weeds in the first place.
Then later, if you need to tweak something, the folks here will help you pick the right product or procedure for the task without risk of unwanted side effects.

Which test kits do you have?

We know your kit is at least 1 year old. How were they stored? They may not be good anymore.

And you still do not have the ability to accurately test the FC and CC separately and at the levels high enough to follow the SLAM process if needed.
You just replaced all your water, why would you not want the appropriate tools keep it clean from the beginning?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.