Why Do Bearings Go?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I just replaced the Motor on my Hayward 1 HP Super Pump almost exactly 2 years ago. It's been great. Nice and quiet. Yesterday I noticed some water leaking from the bottom of the pump though. Today there's a semi-loud whining noise coming from it, that from what I can tell sounds like the bearings are shot.

With it only being a 2 year old motor, I've gotta ask...why would the bearings be shot already? What would cause it? Doesn't seem to be a simple fix like a seal or gasket would be, so I'll probably end up buying a new motor (closest motor shop, which isn't very close, is almost as expensive as a new motor for repair). I want to avoid this happening in another 2 years though, so what could have caused it so I don't do it again?

Thanks!

Actually, a better question would be "Why do bearings last so long?" Consider the speed they're spinning without much cooling or lubrication. Hours and hours, sometimes for days at a time. They're pretty amazing.

I think seals are made cheaper, for less drag or something, trying to get the most efficiency.

Well, I guess that's better than that I screwed something up...kind of. Ok, one more question. Can anyone tell me the difference between the following 2 motors? Last time I bought the UST1102, and these seem to both be that, but they've got different prices with different descriptions, but both sold by Amazon. But since they're both the UST1102, are they both the same motor? Does one include something the other doesn't? Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/A-O-Smith-UST1102 ... ds=UST1102
vs
http://www.amazon.com/Electric-UST1102- ... ds=UST1102

I'd love to, but last I looked into it, I'd be looking at some serious $$$. If you have some suggestions of how it wouldn't be too expensive, I'm definitely interested

Sorry, forgot one other thing...Do new replacement motors tend to come with new seals and gaskets or should I plan to order those as well?

Thanks a ton everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.