Pump not priming correctly...

luria8

May 20, 2013
Lancaster, TX
Help!

My pump is not priming correctly! There is very little flow when the pump is on... When i turn it off there is water returned into the pump skimmer and the water level rises. It was working yesterday... Came home today and the water was cloudy. We repaired the pump last week (replaced capacitor). My doubt is that maybe the jandy valves are not at the correct setting. Attached are pictures of my pumping system and a close up of the jandy valves. Please help!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 95
One more thing i noticed... There is no water running by the clear plastic cap (not sure of the name), but before i did notice water running through there when pump was on.
Picture attached and taken while pump was on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 88
Turn the knob on the top of the filter near the pressure gauge to let the air out while the pump is running. When water squirts out shut it.

Compressed air in the filter is the problem causing the water to flow backward when the pump turns off.

The source of the air entering the pump though is your primary problem.

That cap only has water when you are backwashing.

Pump on. Open air valve on filter. Air comes out. When water comes out, then close the air valve.

Now leave the pump on for a few hours and go back and open the air valve again ... if more air comes out, that pretty much confirms you have an air leak on the suction side of your plumbing. Do you see air in the pump basket?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok we did this for about 4 minutes.... And priming looks so much better. Here is a picture of what the pump skimmer looks like while running the pump...doesn't look like if it has air too me or does it? I will let run for a few hours and see what turn out i have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 76
It really should only take a few seconds to get the air out of the filter (less than a minute). If you have no leak, there should never be air in the filter unless you open the system (open the filter or open the pump) for cleaning. After these events you should always open the air relief valve until the air is out.

A fully primed pump looks like the strainer basket is empty because there is NO air in it ... hard to tell due to the reflection, but looks like you have air to me.

We cleaned the filter just last thursday one by one (each grid). Left them looking like new. We backwashed yesterday... We did not bleed any air out after replacing the capacitor last week. I honestly did not know we had to do this...

I will make sure the drain plugs are sealed, the o ring is in good shape and lubed. I hope this solves my problem. But it will be done tommorrow.
I appriciate all the help!!!

Based on the pictures it seems pretty clear that you have a suction leak at the fitting going into the pump. It looks like somebody recognized that air was getting in and tried to put electrical tape over it to seal it off. You might want to take the tape off and get a good look at those connections.

keene3b07 said:
Based on the pictures it seems pretty clear that you have a suction leak at the fitting going into the pump. It looks like somebody recognized that air was getting in and tried to put electrical tape over it to seal it off. You might want to take the tape off and get a good look at those connections.

Good eye... Seems that water flow to the pump is good, but getting it back into the pool is not good. I sure will look into this also! Wow so much learning for me today! Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.