Milky Blue Water

Jun 4, 2013
I got the Taylor test kit and discovered that my CYA was off the charts so I drained about 2/3 of the water from the pool and refilled last week.

My current test results are:
FC 0
PH 7.4
Alkalinity 100ppm
Hardness 190ppm
CYA 40

It's a 13,000 gallon pebble tec pool with a DE filter that I cleaned and re-charged two weekends ago.

I know I need to raise the FC. I've got a chlorinator with 3" pucks and will add a gallon of bleach per the Taylor analysis instructions. I also put a sock full of CYA in the skimmer to stabilize the chlorine.

My question is about the color of the water. It's a milky blue; I can see to the bottom in the deep end but it's not clear. What should I be doing to clear it up?

Thanks,
Rick

Welcome to tfp, rickmacc :wave:

rickmacc said:
I got the Taylor test kit
:goodjob:

What is your CC?

rickmacc said:
I also put a sock full of CYA in the skimmer to stabilize the chlorine.
How much did you put in...you are already at 40 ppm and we recommend 30-50 ppm for cya. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels Also, granular cya can take a week to show up in test. cya can only be removed by partial drain/refills. Also, I would remove the pucks out of the chlorinator since they are adding cya as well. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool For now I would use liquid chlorine/bleach.

rickmacc said:
My question is about the color of the water. It's a milky blue; I can see to the bottom in the deep end but it's not clear. What should I be doing to clear it up?
Likely you need to do the shocking process. In that pool school article it mentions the OCLT, I would do that tonight.

IMHO, you don't need to add stabilizer at this time. Take the sock out and let it dry for later.

I just did this process with my pool with weekend. I would keep your FC up using only liquid chlorine and let the pool sit overnight (pump off) and then vacuum to waste whatever is on the floor.

Mine was milky blue in the evening and looked milky blue in the morning (could NOT see liner design on floor). After I vacuumed to waste, it was less milky and more blue (but not clear). I could see the liner pattern on the floor. Then kept filtering, vacuuming to filter, and bumping my Perflex. It is much better now. I still have some floaties but the surface load is killing my with all my crepe myrtle mess (see my Pool Skim thread)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.